CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Best island for cheap liquor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/306724-best-island-cheap-liquor.html)

Deb76 January 12th, 2006 04:33 PM

Best island for cheap liquor

Costa Maya, Grand Cayman or Ocho Ricos. best place to purchase liquor. thanks..

Howard White February 3rd, 2006 06:19 PM

Grand Cayman has prices equivalent to what you'll see in St. Thomas. In addtion, if ordered before one ot two (check with the merchant) it will be delivered to the ship.

san007 August 31st, 2006 06:06 PM

Martinique, St. Thomas, St. Martin and Barbados I found to have cheap liquor. Grand Cayman seems to me to be alot more expensive. Beware in Grand Cayman. The tour buses and taxis try to take advantage of us off the ship. I don't trust the natives at all anymore.

LisaK September 1st, 2006 10:43 AM

Jamaica has some great local liquers that you can only get on the island.

BigWill6ft5 June 20th, 2007 07:24 PM

grand caymens,at the rum tortgia place(sorry spelling) better then cozemel and ocho rios

colorcrazie June 21st, 2007 01:57 PM

It also depends on what kind of booze you are buying. Be sure and double check prices at home and on board the ship before buying in ports. Used to be you could get really low prices, but most ports are now after more of your money. Also, keep in mind what the customs limitations are. While they will sometimes let you through if you are over the allotment, but it is just for your own enjoyment, but they can and sometimes do, slap you with a customs fee when you debark to go home. That can end up making those bottles really expensive!
Marty

BigWill6ft5 June 21st, 2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
It also depends on what kind of booze you are buying. Be sure and double check prices at home and on board the ship before buying in ports. Used to be you could get really low prices, but most ports are now after more of your money. Also, keep in mind what the customs limitations are. While they will sometimes let you through if you are over the allotment, but it is just for your own enjoyment, but they can and sometimes do, slap you with a customs fee when you debark to go home. That can end up making those bottles really expensive!
Marty

Cruised May 07 coming into Miami,customs fee was to be 1% to 4% tax based on the % of alchol in the bottle I had 6 bottles over the limit I hand carried it thur customs and the never looked or asked for anything I brought back,we walked right off boat and paid no taxes,was I luckly who knows.Liquor is high dollar in Alabama,the state runs the stores so the cost of stuff here is super high.Im like a kid in a candy store while on vacation,I was ready to pay the tax and walked right on by.Im going in Oct this year and plan to do the same,I plane on bringing more home this time due to driving and not flying home. Just check your prices before you go,check price on boat and ask the cruise shopping lady on the boat which is the best port to buy at and what is the duty tax if you go over the limit,remeber they may get you tax wise they may not like what happened with me.

colorcrazie June 22nd, 2007 02:17 PM

The one cruise where we did buy a lot of liquor, we declared it and hauled it off the ship in an open box so they could see it (we were driving home). I don't really know if that made a difference, but customs just waved us through.
Marty

subtropic June 23rd, 2007 12:48 AM

One tip - check the prices on the ship first and compare in ports. I have seen some ports charge more than the ship price.