Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Default Best island for cheap liquor

Costa Maya, Grand Cayman or Ocho Ricos. best place to purchase liquor. thanks..
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Grand Cayman has prices equivalent to what you'll see in St. Thomas. In addtion, if ordered before one ot two (check with the merchant) it will be delivered to the ship.
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Martinique, St. Thomas, St. Martin and Barbados I found to have cheap liquor. Grand Cayman seems to me to be alot more expensive. Beware in Grand Cayman. The tour buses and taxis try to take advantage of us off the ship. I don't trust the natives at all anymore.

Old September 1st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Jamaica has some great local liquers that you can only get on the island.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Passenger

grand caymens,at the rum tortgia place(sorry spelling) better then cozemel and ocho rios
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Admiral

It also depends on what kind of booze you are buying. Be sure and double check prices at home and on board the ship before buying in ports. Used to be you could get really low prices, but most ports are now after more of your money. Also, keep in mind what the customs limitations are. While they will sometimes let you through if you are over the allotment, but it is just for your own enjoyment, but they can and sometimes do, slap you with a customs fee when you debark to go home. That can end up making those bottles really expensive!
Marty
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
It also depends on what kind of booze you are buying. Be sure and double check prices at home and on board the ship before buying in ports. Used to be you could get really low prices, but most ports are now after more of your money. Also, keep in mind what the customs limitations are. While they will sometimes let you through if you are over the allotment, but it is just for your own enjoyment, but they can and sometimes do, slap you with a customs fee when you debark to go home. That can end up making those bottles really expensive!
Marty
Cruised May 07 coming into Miami,customs fee was to be 1% to 4% tax based on the % of alchol in the bottle I had 6 bottles over the limit I hand carried it thur customs and the never looked or asked for anything I brought back,we walked right off boat and paid no taxes,was I luckly who knows.Liquor is high dollar in Alabama,the state runs the stores so the cost of stuff here is super high.Im like a kid in a candy store while on vacation,I was ready to pay the tax and walked right on by.Im going in Oct this year and plan to do the same,I plane on bringing more home this time due to driving and not flying home. Just check your prices before you go,check price on boat and ask the cruise shopping lady on the boat which is the best port to buy at and what is the duty tax if you go over the limit,remeber they may get you tax wise they may not like what happened with me.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

The one cruise where we did buy a lot of liquor, we declared it and hauled it off the ship in an open box so they could see it (we were driving home). I don't really know if that made a difference, but customs just waved us through.
Marty
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Admiral

One tip - check the prices on the ship first and compare in ports. I have seen some ports charge more than the ship price.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82