Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Default Diamond Ear Studs

I've been checking stores locally for a pair of diamond ear studs, a carat in each ear. Prices have ranged anywhere from a few thousand up to $20,000 in the Los Angeles area.

Today I saw an ad for one carat per ear at $2200. I do not know what the quality of the stones is.

(1) can I do better in the Caribbean?
(2) Would any of the stores there take a trade-in on my old, smaller pair? One of the local jewelry stores offered to do that, but the new pair were quite pricey.

Thanks for your help!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Judy:

I've generally found that I can do just as well, if not better at home. I live in a state that has no sales or income tax so for me I really don't save much (if anything). Depending on what kind of tax you're paying in your state you might do better. Just make sure you research before you go and decide what you want for cut, color, clarity and carat size. Prices can vary greatly depending on what you want and when comparing you want to make sure you're comparing the same. If you don't find anything on your trip you can always buy them when you come home (which I've done before).

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think if you're going to spend a lot of money on something like a one carat diamond, you really either need to be very savvy about what you are looking at or buy from an established, reputable store. I can see spending a few hundred on a piece of jewelry that strikes your fancy while on a cruise, but for a big investment of $2,000-20,000, I'd be buying from somewhere local where I would have some recourse if what they sold me couldn't pass an independent appraisal. The local jeweler that we deal with told me he doesn't deal in "Miami Beach" diamonds - that is, those that are big but are poor in color/clarity, etc. - having said that, I think for earrings, you could probably go with a lesser quality stone, but that's up to you - the main thing is to get what you pay for.
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I've always wanted a pair of Diamond ear studs, so while we were in Mexico...at a RCCI recommended Jewerly store...we bought what we thought was a real deal.

When we got home...we saw better for cheaper. (we live in California)

It's not that we were really ripped off...it's just that we could have a lot done better at home!

Buyer beware!
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Admiral

You really have to be a saavy shopper when it comes to diamonds. Sometimes bigger isn't better. Know your prices before you sail, talk to a local jeweler that you trust, get some good information, its crucial that you know about t he 4C's of diamonds - Cut, Color, Clarity and Carart weight. You might get what you think is an awesome deal on your studs, but when you bring them home to have them apprasied, they might be very flawed, and undervalued (this happened to my girlfriend). I would only purchase a high-ticket item from a jeweler that the cruise line does business with and recommends, because most of the cruise lines will back your purchase if something goes wrong. You can also do very well if you shop the ships store, look for the sales.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Familiar Face

Diamonds are considered as the most precious part of jewellery. The jewellery with diamonds is looking much bright than any others. Diamond stud earrings are enhancing the beauty of ears. I love to wear diamond earrings and bought it from online store.