Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Captain

Default Diamond Int'l - good deal or no?

For years I've bought jewelry at Diamonds International and felt I got a good deal (if nothing else it saved me the 9.5% sales tax at home).
But lately it seems their prices are less competative. Anyone have recent experience with comparison shopping?
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Over the last several years I don't think there's any question that the "great deals" on jewelery in the Caribbean are HARDER and HARDER to find.

There's just so many cruise passengers visiting, that the shop keepers aren't as willing to bargain as they used to be. If you don't buy, there's likely someone on tomorrow's ship who will.
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've found I can usually do better at home. We don't have any sales tax in our state so I don't save that right off. I've also found some of the best deals are on the ship. You may do better at a smaller store not right on a main drag.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I really don't like to shop there, too crowded,and the salespeople won't give you the "time of day" unless you are unloading a huge chunk of change in the store. If you want to deal the brand name stores i much prefer Royal Caribbean and Little Switzerland. The key is know your prices and the 4C's of diamond buying- Cut, Color, Clarity, Carat weight.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Captain

No sales tax!!! Darcy, honey, where do you live? I'll be on the next bus!

I think ya'll pretty well support what I've been feeling recently. Fifteen years ago when I started at DI they weren't swamped with customers and you did get better service and of course, the law of supply and demand will prevail.

Thanks for your input.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, for one thing, there's no sales tax. I didn't actually buy an jewellery on shore, but my friend bought a diamond ring from Diamonds Int'l for $500 off US retail!
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Yeoman

When I lived in NH there was no sales tax on anything -- not sure if it is still the same.

In Mass. there is no sales tax on clothing.
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM
booboo4031

Still no sales tax on anything in NH. Also no state income tax! I'm not ready to move from here!
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Beginner

I just had a bad experience with Tanzinite Internation in Costa Maya. My husband and I each wanted an Alexandrite ring. Quite hard to find. Of course, the ship recommends DI or Tanzanite International. Same difference. We each bought a ring. $16,300 total purchase. When we got home the rings went immediately for appraisal for insurance purposes. The jeweler said he did not appraise Alexandrite but did take a look at my husbands ring. The stone was loose and the band was cracked. The following day he took mine to another jeweler for appraisal. This gentleman told him that the stone in my ring has chips around the girdle. Of course, we called DI and the only thing they will do is repair, replace or give a store credit. Can I trust them to replace my stone with a good one??? I'm not sure I have trust in them. If they allow 2 rings to go out of a store damaged how can there be any consumer trust? Another thing about purchasing from them is, you are not aware that there is a no money back issue until you pay for the item and get your receipt. It is printed on the back. I have had much better luck buying from the small, independent stores on the islands than this large chain. I have bought diamonds from 2 different stores in St. Thomas and both appraised for $3,000 to $4,000 more than the purchase price. Believe me, I've learned my lesson about DI. I will tell anyone not to shop there. I'm sure the cruise ships wouldn't recommend them if they did not receive a fee to do so.