CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   What should I buy in Nassau? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/311049-what-should-i-buy-nassau.html)

gsujillybean March 20th, 2006 08:37 PM

What should I buy in Nassau?

I'm not normally a shopper, but I don't want to miss a great deal.

LisaK March 21st, 2006 09:33 AM

Nassau is known for its Straw Market. You can find really nice woven straw things- everything from hats, baskets, bags etc.

Donna March 22nd, 2006 05:49 PM

There are also some nice shops to buy duty free perfumes and a good assortment of t-shirts. Its a nice town to walk through and shop. We also found cuban cigars there, not at any great price, but they were available, just make sure they get smoked before you get back to the USA.

showcat April 11th, 2006 12:17 AM

Rum balls and rum cakes, yum! Great souveniers cause they are actually made there, I brought one for my Dad he put it in the pantry and just opened it recently it was packed in plastic and still moist and fresh. I also got a decent deal on a Tanzanize pendant at Diamonds International. Cute christmas ornaments with tropical themes made with shells etc. Designer purses. You name it. I like the shops right in town just walk a couple blocks from the ship everything is right there. Have a wonderful time!

buttercup3381 April 11th, 2006 02:42 PM

RE:

I agree with showcat, RUM!!! I didn't like the whole atmosphere at the Straw Market last time, but next week I will be going on my cruise and I'm going to give it a second try. The deals are great and after thinking through the last time I was there, I did get some really cool purchases. I will go in with an open mind this time.
Word of warning though, Don't buy the calypso cd's. Even though they are packaged, my brother opened it up to find a burned cd.

fleaberry May 5th, 2006 12:23 AM

I was at the straw market in Nassau in March and I was disappointed. There is very little straw left, mostly designer knock off merchandise. It is nothing like it used to be. I like the perfume and makeup in Nassau. It is somewhat cheaper, no tax, and there are some products from different lines that are not carried in the states anymore.

amaretto September 4th, 2006 03:00 PM

Island crafts and rum cakes!

When I visited Nassau, there are a few shops in the Festival Place (a tourist building) that is right beside where the cruise ships park. In there, you'll find a few shops selling island handicrafts and rum cakes. There were also intricate flower pendants made from fish scales; and they were only $10!

Also, in the tourist area beside the ships, there are plenty of shops for souvenirs. There are also shops for designer replicas as well as real designer goods that are a bit cheaper than US retail prices.

Have fun!