CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Is there Shopping in Bermuda ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/315546-there-shopping-bermuda.html)

REBOP June 12th, 2006 11:48 AM

Is there Shopping in Bermuda ?

..........Having been to St. Thomas before.....My wife & I know what kind of shopping exists there; but....in as much as we have never been to Bermuda before......We were wondering as to what kind of shopping, if any, exists in Bermuda ???...And where in Bermuda does one shop ???

Darcy June 12th, 2006 02:57 PM

There is lots of shopping in Hamilton. There are good deals on British merchandise there.

newie January 17th, 2007 10:08 PM

Shopping in Bermuda isn't waht it used to be, now that Smiths and Triminghams', two of hte major stores have closed. Having said that, Coopers have several stores in Hamilton which require a bit of wqalking, but they have first class stuff. Even though there's no sales tax on the islna,d manyh American products cost more then back home due to import tadxes
A few things I might recommend--the local rum (Goslings) is quite good, expecially the dark variety. There's a loical saucenamed Outerbridges which is like a worcershire sauce and comes in several flavors.
Some cosmetics are cheaper in Bermuda then back hom, so sure to compare prices before you lleave .
Enjoy your trip, and I hope this has been of some help.

Newie@kc.rr.com

subtropic March 1st, 2007 11:12 PM

Newie - Sorry to hear that Trimingham's is no more. Had a fun shopping experience there. Reminded me somewhat of Cave Sheppard in Barbados.

j2798550 March 21st, 2007 09:37 AM

I enjoyed shopping at the royal naval dockyard which is probably a quarter mile from where the ships dock in King's Wharf. They have hand blown glass items and rum cakes which are made on premise in front of you. In town there are many stores as well but my favorite was the handblown glass available at the above mentioned.

Cassandra April 17th, 2007 01:53 PM

There were a bunch there in Hamilton, right where the cruise ship docks. But that was almost 10 years ago, so I don't know if they are all still there.

Fishing Lover December 17th, 2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandra
There were a bunch there in Hamilton, right where the cruise ship docks. But that was almost 10 years ago, so I don't know if they are all still there.

Yes.Hamilton.
Enjoy yourself.

Cruze Lover March 15th, 2008 02:45 PM

I agree with the Hamilton point. Front Street (where the ships dock) and the blocks behind it are where you will find the bulk of the shopping. Overall, do not expect the same shopping experience in Bermuda as you found in St. Thomas or even in the rest of the Caribbean. Bermuda is a very wealthy country and everything about is upscale. There are some t-shirt/postcard type shops but most stores tend to be along the lines of boutiques. There is a Louis Vuitton right on Front street. I did some jewelery browsing, maybe 2 stores along Front Street, but very small. No Diamonds Int or Tanzanite Int or large stores like you find in the rest of the Caribbean. Flying Colours is a very nice t-shirt store at Front St and Queen st. If you do make it to Flying Colours, just past it is Par-la-ville Park, take a stroll there.
When I go to Bermuda, I do not think of it as a shopping cruise/port. enjoy the secenery, pink sand beaches, and sightseeing. Get a ferry/bus pass and explore. We have been there twice and LOVED it!!!

Cruze Lover March 15th, 2008 02:46 PM

REBOP, What kind of shopping are you looking for?

susierphillips April 19th, 2008 01:03 PM

I bought some beautiful watercolor art at the dockyard and in St. George's as well. Nice to bring them home and frame them and they make great gifts too. Usually they are very reasonably priced.

NY Cruisin Mama July 1st, 2008 01:39 AM

Take LOTS OF MONEY !!!!!!!