CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Just how much vanilla can you buy? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/317704-just-how-much-vanilla-can-you-buy.html)

kimbo July 23rd, 2006 12:59 PM

Just how much vanilla can you buy?

I have a friend going to cancun, she and I would like to know, is there a limit on the number of bottles of vanilla you can have when you go through customs? She is not cruising, just a land vacation. Thanks!

Fern July 23rd, 2006 09:37 PM

Hi kimbo,

As far as I know, she can buy as much as she can carry LOL !

kimbo July 23rd, 2006 09:52 PM

thanks fern...I better tell her bring some empty suitcases!

LisaK July 24th, 2006 01:59 PM

Are you sure? I thought(could be wrong) that vanilla from Mexico is considered alcohol and thus falls under the duty-free limits. It would be worth her while to find out. You don't want to have to pay a duty when you re-enter the country.

reverendjeff July 26th, 2006 11:27 AM

Buy as much as you want, there is no problem. I no longer buy vanilla there because you can really get good vanilla here and the price for quality vanilla is about the same.
Be sure to read the ingredients before you buy it. It should say, PURO, as in, PURE.

kimbo July 27th, 2006 08:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. Will tell her to look for Puro.

billbelt December 29th, 2008 01:43 PM

I have never encounterd a problem in bringing back vanilla. EXCEPT the transportation problem. Packing vanilla in one's suitcase does not seem like a very good ideal. Have you seen the way luggage is handled at the airport? If one bottle breaks your clothes may become worthless. You can't carry the vanilla on plane as the volumn exceeds the regulations.

cruisingrandma May 20th, 2009 10:29 AM

I have bought Vanilla from Cozumel, Jamaica, and now I get it from st Maartin. It is the very best. It has a flavor all its own. I bring it home for gifts for friends. Yummyyyyy. But I dont believe there is a limit on how many you can bring back. Happy cruising

Bruce Chafkin1 April 2nd, 2010 01:14 AM

If you Google Mexican Vanilla Extract, you will discover that there are several different ways to produce Vanilla Extract. One of the cheaper ways involves chemicals that are quite dangerous to your health.
You should read the stories carefully and purchase Mexican vanilla extract that is made safely. Read the labels CAREFULLY...........

Parrot Mom April 5th, 2010 07:45 AM

Vanilla

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1283763)
If you Google Mexican Vanilla Extract, you will discover that there are several different ways to produce Vanilla Extract. One of the cheaper ways involves chemicals that are quite dangerous to your health.
You should read the stories carefully and purchase Mexican vanilla extract that is made safely. Read the labels CAREFULLY...........

Before the days of limits I bought Vanilla in Mexico.. PURO..and use it to this day..if my memory serves me right i bought it in a flea market..

kevinscruising April 17th, 2010 01:36 PM

Hey Kimbo,

I remember when my parents brought back vanilla years ago... they thought it was like gold LOL.

Off the subject. I see that you have been on several NCL ships. I have been on the Dawn and Gem and on May 1st we will be on the Jewel. How would you rank the Jewel with the NCL ships you have sailed. I will be traveling with my wife, 17 yr old son & 6 yr old daughter.

Thanks
Kevin

Parrot Mom April 17th, 2010 06:42 PM

Vanilla

It lasts forever...I bought a large bottle and still u se it.. You actually use less because it is pure and stronger:cool:

Bruce Chafkin1 April 29th, 2010 04:10 AM

Authentic Mexican Vanilla Extract is quite expensive.
If you found cheap Mexican Vanilla extract in Mexico, it was probably made partly or completely from Coumarin, a natural plant extract that tastes like vanilla - but is also used as a blood thinner and a rat poison.

Even in small doses, it can be toxic - depending on your age and health.

Be careful.

"Pure Honey" sold in America actually is not required to contain any honey at all.
Most Pure Honey sold in America does contain honey - but not more than 50%.

Do yo suppose that Mexico's Food Purity laws are any better than the ones in America??