Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Passenger

Default carrying rum / vanilla back

Just wondering about buying rum and / or Mexican vanilla with the newest airline regulations. Has anyone carried it in their checked luggage without problem? Do they help with the packaging piece in the Caribbean, knowing the new regulations? Or can you buy a case [!] of alcohol & check on the plane?

Also, 150 proof rum is not allowed back in the USA, from what I understand? Am I wrong? Has anyone tried bringing it back recently?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Hi cgkpt,

From what I understand (from reading several boards) the limit on liquor is 140 proof. If you want to try bringing something stronger you can try it. The worst that can happen is that you'll be charged for the duty (I think). I don't think you'll have any problem with the vanilla. You can check a case of liquor on the airlines, but don't expect it to get to your home with no breakage . (I've seen how the bags are "tossed" around .)

It's pretty much up to you whether to try it or not! Personally, we've never found anything that was worth packing in our checked luggage vs. buying it at home .

I hope someone who's actually done this will give you a better response.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Captain

Take some bubble wrap with you and pack the vanilla in it then in your checked luggage maybe in a zip lock as well in case it leaks

I think the rule on the 140 proof alcohol is for the airlines not for bringing into the country.
140 proof is highly flammable!
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Lulu48 is right. Anything over 140 proof is considered an explosive! Airlines have been banning higher proof for decades that I know of.
Marty
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default nips

So...with the newest carry-on regulations, I just need to buy a case or so of 3 ounce bottles of good Caribbean rum [under 150 proof] and put it in my carry-on! (kidding!)

Thanks for the input.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Passenger

I know that some of the duty free stores in San Juan and St. Thomas offer "packing sleeves" to protect your bottles in your checked luggage. This is what we did and it worked out just fine.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Default reply

Now that I'm back, I thought I would give my input on this in case anyone else is interested.

All of the vanilla that I saw was in plastic bottles. I had brought bubble wrap to wrap it in & it came home fine.

I also got 2 - 1 liter bottles of Kahlua for $9.50! I couldn't pass it up. I packed it in bubble wrap & all sorts of clothes, in the luggage. Both bottles came home in 1 piece.

Had a great time.

Thanks to all for the input on this forum.
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, bubble wrap is the way to go, but bring enough to wrap the booze and vanilla well. I bought three bottles of vanilla and a bottle of Jamaican rum this past January. I packed the vanilla semi-tight in a ziplock bag, then put it in another bag slightly larger. I wrapped the booze in a sweatshirt I wore for the trip down--don't get me on that, I know, a sweatshirt when the weather was 25C, ya, well it as was -25C when I left for the airport...

I was peeved when I got home and opened my bags to take out the dirty laundry and stuff that needed to come out asap (even though it was around midnight). It seems homeland security at Ft. Lauderdale decided to check ONE of my suitcases and didn't repack it the way I had it. The booze didn't break, however, one of the vanilla bottles sprung a wee leak and all three bottles had to be wiped down and left in a bowl in case the leak got worse. A friend suggested a plastic container with bubblewrap or tissue around it to transport booze home.
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Just a thought but could you not just mail it home. Once you got off the cruise just hit the post and mail it all.
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Default Love that rum!

Gotta tell ya: We bought 8 bottles in St. Thomas, forgetting that only 7 are allowed from there and 1 must come from elsewhere, but no one checked. Yes, it was beautifully packed for the airplane ride, but as DH said, they are marked as booze and they would probably never make it home. So we decided to pack them in our suitcases and they made it just fine. The problem is that your suitcases are then very heavy to haul around and all your trinkets and stuff displaced have to go into totes. That means more to tote around. Rethink this...we did...and we'll never do it again. One or two bottles, yes. Eight? Never!
Hope this helps.
Bon Voyage!
D Ann