CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Jewelry (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/328721-jewelry.html)

mkobrnc February 24th, 2007 11:35 PM

Jewelry

Where is a good place to buy Jewelry on St Thomas and/or St Maarten?
Thanks.
mkobrnc

Cassandra February 27th, 2007 06:41 PM

Right when you get off the ship at both islands, there's a bunch of places next to the ship.

It's just a matter of wheeling & dealing.

subtropic March 3rd, 2007 01:32 AM

Every island has a good place to buy jewelry ! In St. Martin I would tell you to try the French side in Marigot.

Fishing Lover December 17th, 2007 02:59 AM

I will go there in a couple of days to spend my Christmas .

travelgalSue December 17th, 2007 07:48 PM

I found a great shop in St. Thomas years ago, J.C. Jewelers. They were on one of the side streets when I first stopped in but I guess I've bought enough from them they have now moved to Main St. I always deal with Christina and have never gotten burned on anything I've purchased. Have a great time shopping, just don't buy them out, I'll be there in Feb.

Trip December 20th, 2007 10:02 PM

Both islands have an overwhelming amount of stores and selections. I have always found the Dutch side of St Martin to have better deals, and selections..I have bought jewelry on both islands..

Do your homework, know your prices, & offer cash, if you can, after you get the lowest price, and be prepared to walk away if you feel you are not getting the deal you want.

IF you see something you love, and have another port to shop during the week, you then have to decide to get what you love now, or chance you may find something you love more, at the next stop:)

Kuki December 21st, 2007 02:58 PM

While the selection in the Caribbean islands is incredible, you'll no longer find it to the bargain basement pricing location it used to be.

Personally, I like shopping in St. Maarten better because there is no price. Whatever the price tag may say, if there's a piece you like, offer perhaps 25% of the marked price, and see where they go.

The end deal may be the same as on St. Thomas, but I love the bargaining process. Just be prepared to walk out if the price is above what you were looking to spend.

misguidedangel December 24th, 2007 09:01 PM

Havensight Mall, across from the pier in St. Thomas, is a place where almost EVERY store sells jewelry. The only store I didn't see them selling it was the booze store and a handful of others, otherwise, you can find it anywhere.

I caution you to do your homework. I took a bracelet I bought in to get lengthened and the jeweler commented on how poor the stones were and I didn't get the greatest of deals. This jeweler is well known and his shop has considerably more work than they can handle (they make amasing custom pieces). I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and wanted it. I only paid $350, but it is quite nice design wise.

If you want to find some nice pieces I suggest checking out the onboard store. I found diamond, tanzanite, and opal earrings (and one ring) for a super sweet price. I am sure everytime they saw me coming in the store they knew I was there to buy, because I did!!!!....I spent over $1500 on bling bling, now for me that is a fortune!!!! I don't buy flashy pieces, since I'll be wearing it to work and don't want to show off, at least not too much 8)

jenurenazensis July 28th, 2011 03:31 AM

I would suggest you the following places:

Freedom Of The Seas -07
Golden Princess-06
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Nordic Prince-82

green_rd November 13th, 2011 09:22 AM

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I am the only one that hates it that you can't just look at a piece of jewelry and look at the price and decide whether you want to buy it or begin bargaining? No, there has to be a calculator and a lot of button punching! It is as bad in the States and the islands.

Trip November 13th, 2011 09:50 AM

I don't know too many places here at home, where you can go into a jewelry store,and bargain for a better deal. Maybe in a Mom & Pop, place, there is a bit of wiggle room.

At home, in order to see the diverse inventory you find in a port like St. Thomas, you would have to drive all over creation, and still not see selections like you can, just walking into a few stores there.

Your deal in port, can also be determined by how many ships are in, & if you will pay cash, which, will always get you even lower price, since the shop is not paying the fees to the cc company.

I do not like to bargain, my hubby does it for me...but, the majority of cruisers in port enjoy it, and, like markets around the world, it's expected.