Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Default On board shopping

What can you find in the gift shops on board the ship? Do you spend much time or mony in the gift shop?
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yeoman

You will find somewhat expensive novelty carnival souvenirs. And they also have some stuff from different ports the ships visit. Like on the Inspiration they had rum cakes from Grand Cayman.

Cheap liquor is always a huge sell sins there is no sin tax on it. There is also jewelery to buy and a jeweler. Usually a couple days into the cruise they have a 50% off gold & silver sale. My BF's mother loves those sales, she is jewelery crazy.

We spent some time in them. More towards then end of the cruise when we decided there were a couple things we wanted to bring back that we couldn't get off the ship. Such as the Christmas ornament of the ship. We are going to collect them and hang them in the living room with the date and ports written on the bottom.

Hope that helps, Carla
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I hit the on board shop as soon as we sail...for one item. I buy an insulated coffee mug. Carry it around during the cruise because I hate cool coffee. Then, I use it at home too. Brings back a little cruise feeling every morning. Got my joe in one now!
Marty
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Admiral

If you smoke-cigarette prices are one third of what they are in NY. Liquor is relatively cheap, so is perfume and jewelry. One thing about their goods on board-they guarantee the authenticity of the product (so they say) that means no knock-offs and counterfeits.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Onboard in the clothing boutique, generally they have $10.00 items, like watches, pashmina's, beads, scarves,and the like.

During the week, they have tables filled with, gold by the inch, unset semi precious stones, tee shirts, higher priced watches, basically. all specially priced items, not always an amazing deal, but who can resist.

Remember before buying unset stones, the cost may be low, but when you come home and want them set, it can be pricy..when I worked in a jewelry store, we always had customers amazed at the prices to set what they bought....Happy Sales!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Beginner

what you should do when you first board the ship is take a look at the shops and check their prices out first hand. Being a poor gift shop worker myself with carnival i deal with the same thing every cruise. Everyone thinks that the gift shop on the cruise ship is the most expensive and everyone finds out on the last day when they decide to actually visit that they aren't as pricey as they thought. You will not find fine watches cheaper anywhere in the states and if you do Starboard will refund you the difference in the price within a year, the fine jewelry comes with a 1 year unconditional guarantee and cert of auth, they match the prices of anything you see in the ports, perfumes are tax and duty free and the liquor and cigarettes are the best prices you will ever see. Trust me, go and look at the beginning of the cruise, don't wait till you've been ripped off in the ports to come into the shops.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Captain

I love the shawls and pashimas and jewelry in the onboard shops. On Carnival, there is usually a good sale on the last day, so be sure to check it out.

DH looked at a very nice watch on board a couple of years ago and just would not make up his mind to purchase it. I knew he wanted it and found the same watch for him at home for Christmas. He would have saved about 30% plus taxes if he had purchased it on board.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Oh, yes, the prices are fair and there are numerous items to buy. I usually buy the cheap an cheerful things--keychains, magents, and other items under $5-6.

The jewellery store is my fave, I can wander about and look at what I would like and, like on the last cruise, buy some bling bling!!!!! I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars, but I did manage to find some nice items for a very reasonable price. I bought a ring that I just love and some earrings that are just the right size!!!!

Happy shopping!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Passenger

How about purchasing cameras or binoculars from the Photo Gallery? They are a different concession than the gift shops (Image Group). We just got off the Vision of the Seas and purchased some Pentax Binoculars (we had a lot of onboard credit from RCCL Credit Card) and found them to be $100 less or so....=(
We have since asked RCCL Customer Service about a 'price guarantee' -- but they don't know and suggested we call Image Group directly. Called and left a couple of messages but no call back yet. They also had a couple of digital camera for sale -- but now I wonder about their pricing. I must say, I was surprised the RCCL Customer Service wasn't interested in finding out what the price guarantee was -- or even if there was one. It was like: 'Not our problem'. They did give me the name of the fellow to talk with at Image Group, but he hasn't returned my call just yet. Hs anyone else had experiences with cameras/binoculars purchased onboard?
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Passenger

How about purchasing cameras or binoculars from the Photo Gallery? They are a different concession than the gift shops (Photo Gallery is run by: Image Group). We just got off the Vision of the Seas and purchased some Pentax Binoculars (we had a lot of onboard credit from RCCL Credit Card) and once home, found them to be selling for $100 or so LESS ....=(
We have since asked RCCL Customer Service about a 'price guarantee' -- but they don't know and suggested we call Image Group directly. Called and left a couple of messages but no call back yet. They also had a couple of digital camera for sale -- but now I wonder about their pricing. I must say, I was surprised the RCCL Customer Service wasn't interested in finding out what the price guarantee was -- or even if there was one. It was like: 'Not our problem'. They did give me the name of the fellow to talk with at Image Group, but he hasn't returned my call just yet. Has anyone else had experiences with cameras/binoculars purchased onboard?
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Stud: don't quite understand your question?? Explain please.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM
First Mate

The prices and merchandise aboard some ships are not very good deals. For example, camera prices are more aboard ship than you will find at home at Sams, Walmart or Wolfe Camera. Plus if something goes wrong with the camera take it back to Sams.. Try doing that on the ship. Perfume in the South Pacific was at a lesser price than the same aboard ship. Some of the items aboard ship are priced far more than shore prices while there are other itmes that are competitive. Please don't think you are getting bargain prices aboard ship. We have enough t-shirts even if the price is $5