Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Passenger

Default Jewelry stores in Cozumel

First time to Cozumel and would like to know of any jewelry stores where a person can find good bargins or that unique gift for someone special.
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Lots of unique gifts. Not so much on bargains, as too many tourists go there and they don't really need to discount like they used to. That doesn't stop me from shopping, as a little something bought on a cruise reminds me of good times, ao I treasure it more.
A general rule of thumb, especially in Cozumel, is that if the shop is air conditioned, they are less likely to bargain. Not always true, but if they can afford A/C, they aren't quite as hungry for your business.
Marty
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Admiral

good point Marty- you will find better deals at the smaller, local "Mom and Pop" type merchants. just be aware that most will not offer any type of guarantee or refund. That is one perk of dealing with the stores that the cruise lines recommend, the cruise line will back your purchase as long as you register your purchase. Go to the shopping lectures on board you will get some good information.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Lisa,
Very true. I shop differently depending on the cost of items. If I plan to buy something expensive (by my standards ), I spend a tad more to go to recommended shops. If I want a nice bit of slver or something fairly inexpensive, I do mom and pop stores. It depends on how much it will hurt if it turns out bogus. Actually, have never had that happen, oddly enough. A few years ago, my hubby drew my attention to a street vendor who had a huge necklace of amber. He wanted $200. Now, I love amber, but just wasn't going to drop that much without any clue as to authenticity. I kept saying no, vendor kept coming down in price, finally, he got so desperate for a sale, he said $40. I bought it. Tested it as soon as I got home and it was real. Actually felt a little guilty for a minute, but decided to get over it!
Marty