Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Admiral

Default Best shopping? Cozumel, Grand Cayman, or Costa Maya?

For you frequent cruisers which of the following ports has the best shopping? Best prices? And what kind of items can you buy in each. I like to buy myself some fine jewelry usually set with gemstones, and I also like things actually made in that perticular port. Such as rum cakes in Nassau, or wooden boxes in Costa Rica.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Hey SHowcat...here's my take. Grand Cayman is very expensive. It used to be the place to buy black coral. They "farmed" it there, replenishing the coral reefs. But, now bleaching, supposedly from global warming, is killing it off and it is illegal to bring it into the U.S.
Costa Maya is fun for me if I go into the little town (can't remember the name of it). Have gotten some local handcrafts there that I really like. Last time, I convinced a shop keeper to sell me her feather duster. She was using it to dust and I noticed that it was hand made out of feathers of all kinds attached to a wood handle. She had made it and thought I was nuts to want it. But, after a while, it gets hard to find new stuff to shop for!
Cozumel probably has the best shopping overall of your 3 shops. Definitely the best for jewelry. I don't know if it is still there, but there used to be a flea market type area behind the main square. The usual hodge podge of cheap tourist junk and true handcrafts.
What drives me nuts is the fact that a lot of ports now have chain stores that I could go to from home. They try to promote those. Boo HIss. To me, the whole point is finding something I CAN'T buy at my local mall.
Have fun and please let us know what treasures you find and where.
Happy cruisin' and shoppin'
Marty
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yeoman

When I went to Costa Maya I only stayed in the shopping area near the pier.
I bought some silver jewelry, some with gemstones.
None of it was a great deal.
Then I was at Disney World a few months later, and the jewelry items in the Mexico pavilion at Epcot was a lot less expensive than similar items in Costa Maya!
And, the items were made by the same company.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dont you have to go to the little towns to get the deals? I heard that you really never get the deals at the shops by the ports is that right? Do they have taxi's or buses by the ports waiting to bring you into town by the good shopping? How far away are they normally from port? In Cozumel and Costa Mya I am talking about. We are going next year and I really want to shop and get some bargins and see stuff I normally dont see.

Thanks,

Danielle
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, Cozumel is a fairly large town and you will need to take a cab back and forth. But, it is very easy to do.
Marty
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Booze is cheapest in the caymans,hands down.
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Captain

In Costa Maya, we always try to spend some time at Majahual (sp) at the fishing village and beach. There are several flea market type of shops there. I have bought some things there because this is just such a poverty stricken area and I like to help them. I did find that when I compared the same items, they were less expensive in Cozumel. Once thing that we have found at a bargain at Majahual is the hammocks and hammock chairs. We have actually bought double size hammocks there for $30.