CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Pls recommend Tanzanite shopping in Caribbean (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/338799-pls-recommend-tanzanite-shopping-caribbean.html)

dreiste August 27th, 2007 09:14 PM

Pls recommend Tanzanite shopping in Caribbean

I would very much appreciate recommendations and comments on shopping for a loose tanzanite stone in St.Thomas, Aruba, St. Kitts, or Bonaire this coming fall.

Phil&Liz August 27th, 2007 09:28 PM

Just as there are in Cozumel/Playa, I suspect where there is a Diamonds International there will be a Tanzanite International.

I am sure they will talk about it at the excursion talk on the ship.

Phil & Liz

LisaK August 28th, 2007 01:51 PM

attend an on board shopping lecture and ask the cruise ships shopping hostess

lalaland27 September 12th, 2008 10:24 PM

beware of tanzanite stores..stick with US stores

I went to the shopping seminar on the Princess and took their advice and went to a shop they recommended in Cozumel. I bought 2 loose tanzanites at $4,000, being told they would appraise for much more by the staff there and by the woman who did the talk who also saw my purchase. To me they were an exact match to a large one I already had. After getting home and having them appraised they were only worth maybe $1,000. Since the store was referred by the ship I got all my money back after months of hassle and the store was taken of the "approved" stores the ship recommended.

colorcrazie September 13th, 2008 01:21 PM

DO stick with the recommended shops. For a purchase this costly, it is the only guarantee that you will probably get what you think you are paying for. Especially when it comes to gem stones.
Marty

nlb1050 September 13th, 2008 02:10 PM

Unfortunately Tanzanite Int'l and Diamonds Int'l are two of the most expensice stores for purchase of either. My earrings I bought at Tanzanite are not worth as much as I paid for them. And I have read of many others having the same problem.

Make sure to get as much information before you go. And take it with you. I know in st Thomas you can get better prices at some of the smaller unapproved stores and just as good of quality.

TanziGrrl June 11th, 2010 02:19 PM

Just returning from our second Royal Caribbean cruise. This time we were on the Freedom of the Seas, stopping in Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. I bought a 2.05 carat loose Tanzanite from Tanzanite International (St. Thomas). I talked them down from $1,200 to $960. I took it to my jeweler back at home and had him set it into a pendant with 13 tiny diamonds surrounding it (to protect the relatively soft and somewhat breakable Tanzanite from getting hurt from daily wear). My jeweler took one look at my Tanzanite, said it was "truly an exceptional stone" and once I got my finished pendant back, it appraised for $3,830. $3,000 of that is just for the Tanzanite!!! That means that I paid less than 1/3 of what the stone appraised for here. Now, as a disclaimer, I'm a well-trained amateur when it comes to gemstones and will be pursuing my GIA certifications within the next few years. That said, if you read up on any stone and know what to look for, you can have some amazing success in these ports when it comes to buying loose stones.

Paul Motter June 11th, 2010 03:25 PM

When it comes to jewelers doing custom jewelry I am always suspicious when they tell me what a beautiful stone I have.

If they want the business, would they really say "well, I will make you a piece but I don't think this stone is worth spending much money on."

Probably not - they are going to say "What a beautiful gem - this deserves a great gold pendent with diamonds."

CShaw918 June 12th, 2010 01:36 PM

I never leave home without my jewelers loupe.
when I was a cruise with Carnival the sales clerk was so nasty told me I had nerve asking her for one. So I whipped mine out and checked the gems.Got similar one,cheaper in Cozumel. I never go to the "authorized stores" Sound like "kick back" to me.
I'm not saying you can't get a good deal on a gemstone, but buyer beware. Also the settings are not always as secure as your local jeweler.My dad bought me a nice diamond/ blue topaz ring from Aruba, well I wore it to dinner stone popped out.(I found the stone but still) My jeweler told me they did shotty work on my setting, and he re did it. I know my dad paid a lot for it.
Then again I know friends who buy jewelry on their cruises and had no issues.

Alrana

Ali tanzanites July 13th, 2013 10:03 AM

Best natural tanzanites in the caribbeans.

Hello Everyone .... I am originally from Tanzania Kilimanjaro which is the heart of the Tanzanite mine. I have amazing certified rare fancy tanzanites and AAA quality Tanzanites .. All Tanzanites are certified by Tanzanite foundation . It was really sad on my last trip to the caribbean there was a lot of FAKE Tanzanites around ... please buy with rec certificate rec Tanzanite Foundation ... usually a AAA quality tanzanite any size would cost today at about 350 usd per carat . Advise .. don't pay more !!!