CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Diamonds International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/340334-diamonds-international.html)

misguidedangel September 25th, 2007 09:02 PM

Diamonds International

Ok, so I am tossed, is DI good quality or not? I bought a bracelet last week and paid $350 and I truly fell in love with it. I thought it to be a bit much. I was under the impression I could find a simple, fair carat weight bracelet for less, but I saw it and I met my criteria (and I liked it!).

I took the said bracelet to get it lengthened by a bit (it fits, but I want it a bit looser) and the onwer of the store (who's been in business for 25+ years) and said it wasn't worth what I paid and that the stores are mediocre at best.

I'm tossed, do I go there again, or do I stick to the onboard store on the ship?.....Needless to say, I will take it to someone else and get a second opinion, alas, it won't change my mind on how much I like it 8)

colorcrazie September 26th, 2007 02:43 PM

I've only purchased one item from DI, but I loved it and couldn't find it elsewhere. I am always skeptical about stores that later tell me something isn't worth what I paid, because I tend to think they are trying to convince me to only buy stuff from them.
To me, jewelry and art are the two things in particular where the value is what I give it. I.e. how much pleasure I get from it.
Just me and my 'tudes,
Marty

adias.angel September 26th, 2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I am always skeptical about stores that later tell me something isn't worth what I paid, because I tend to think they are trying to convince me to only buy stuff from them.

Ditto ;) Have you had it appraised at all? You might surprised that you did get a great bargain. Carla ;)

Trip September 26th, 2007 05:11 PM

An independent apraiser will give you the true skinny. If you feel, like the amount is very different in quality from what you have been told in DI, I would give them a call, you have nothing to lose. But then it could say you got a good deal!

If the price you paid is comfortable for you, then, that's great.

CA Cruiser September 26th, 2007 06:42 PM

Isn't DI a recommended and guaranteed store for all cruiselines. If it appraises for less than your receipt, shouldn't the cruiseline help you out?

misguidedangel September 26th, 2007 08:56 PM

I am going to find a store that will do that, I just have to look at the phone book to find out where!!! I love it, so if I didn't get a good deal oh well, I like it and it makes me feel good!!! I can only hope I don't lose it.

LisaK September 28th, 2007 11:02 AM

any jewerly store should do an appraisal for you, actually its a very good idea to get a written appraisal for insurance purposes, did you know that your jewerly isn't covered on your homeowner's insurance you need to get a special rider to cover your jewerly.

Cassandra November 16th, 2007 02:14 PM

They are a good company, a bit upscale as far as jewerely shops go. Highly popular in Europe.

I think you paid a fair amount. If you tried to get the same thing back here in the States (I'm assuming you got this on a cruise?), you'd pay alot more.

Novice Senior November 16th, 2007 05:14 PM

What is DI?

We're relatively new to cruising, thus the question.

What is DI?

Is there a common chain on various lines?

Are cruise prices generally considered to be honest and good?

Thanks for 'helping' shop intelligently.

colorcrazie November 17th, 2007 11:48 AM

DI is Diamonds International. They are a chain that you will see all over the Caribbean. And they are now here if Florida. I assume that their prices are consistent from store to another. The item I bought was from their store in Belize. I would rather buy it there than here just since that makes it a fun memory.
Overall, I don't really think that cruise shopping is as good as it used to be. Not complaining, just my opinion. There are so many cruise passengers now that shops in ports dont really need to price their merchandise super low to get customers.
Just FYI, cruise ships will arrange deals with certain shops. They call them recommended shops and the cruise line will help out if you don't get what you paid for. But, those tend to be the most expensive shops. Usually, I prefer to just find something unique and consider it a souvenir. As long as it costs little enough to "earn its keep" as a memory, I'm not concerned with actual monetary value or not. But, for high ticket items, I will go to the recommended stores...well, most of the time, anyway.
Happy shopping!
Marty

Novice Senior November 17th, 2007 12:19 PM

Thanks Marty

Thanks Marty for a complete answer, proving one is never too old to learn how to shop.

We're relatively new to cruising and on our two cruises I was rather leary of the 'best' prices on high end jewelry.

When on land trips to the Caribbean I had noted the shops displaying a ship's recommendation and remember them as the more expensive ones.

colorcrazie November 17th, 2007 12:23 PM

You're welcome. If I wasn't such a cruise junkie, I could probably afford to shop more for high end, but I'd rather be on the ship! Besides, I only have 2 ears, ten fingers, one neck...pretty standard package and tend to wear the same jewelry all the time. LOL
Marty

misguidedangel November 17th, 2007 02:27 PM

I'll be back in DI territory in February and I will check out what they have, but I might not buy. I have been lucky to find some really good deals on Canadian diamonds at home. I got a stunning little ring (.20 carats) with an amazing setting for almost 50% off. Canadian diamonds are a pinch more, but I do get a certificate with all the details. I also bought a single Canadian diamond earring (.31 carat) for my single pierced hole and then a pair of princess cut Canadian diamonds (.25 carat). I admit, the prices at DI are fair, considering I paid around $600 for the .25 carat earrings, but as I said, Canadian mined, cut, and polished diamonds tend to be more expensive. Canadian diamonds are also very high quality stones. The .20 carat diamond is a G, I1, but you would never tell it looks so perfect!!!!

I do want to get myself another ring and bracelet (all gold this time) when I am back in the Caribbean in February. Maybe DI, maybe not...