Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Default Bringing Cigars back to States?

I have been looking over all the post on CM because I am a brand new cruiser (taking my first in Sept) and am trying to learn my way around. My DH boss is very into cigars and we thought it might be a good idea to bring him back some but after reading some of these post I am wondering if I can bring any off-ship? Need direction here before we say anything to boss.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Admiral

We have done this many time from various ports. The only thing is they say you can NOT bring back Cuban cigars to the states. Not sure how they would know the difference since I know many think they are buying Cuban cigars and find out they weren't. It's the thought that counts, right!? Good luck.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you shop for fine Dominican cigars, your smokers will be happy campers, and you won't have to deal with any Cuban cigar issues....as mentioned, many are just fakes, and of far less quality.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

as long as they aren't Cuban cigars you can bring them home.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Captain

If you smoke yourself, you can buy a couple Cubans to smoke on the ship, try a French port like Guadalope, but don't try to bring back anything more than the EMPTY tube or box. Just bring him a nice box from the Domincan Republic. Look for one of the high profile brands like
Partagas. Try to find out ahead of time what size he likes.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Re: Bringing Cigars back to States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojans
I have been looking over all the post on CM because I am a brand new cruiser (taking my first in Sept) and am trying to learn my way around. My DH boss is very into cigars and we thought it might be a good idea to bring him back some but after reading some of these post I am wondering if I can bring any off-ship? Need direction here before we say anything to boss.
[size=18]
The following additional customs and reentry rules apply for United States citizens returning from the Caribbean:

If you are a U.S. resident who has visited the Caribbean countries of Anguilla, the Cayman Islands, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barth's, St. Martin (French side), or the Turks and Caicos Islands for at least 48 hours, you may bring home, for personal use, up to $800(USD) worth of goods duty-free, as long as you haven't used any portion of the $800(USD) allowance during the 30 days preceding your trip. You may combine your $800(USD) exemption with family members. If you visit one of the aforementioned islands for fewer than 48 hours, the duty-free allowance is $200(USD), which cannot be pooled with other family member's exemptions.

If you're returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), the duty free allowance is $1,600(USD). If your Caribbean travel included the USVI and another country, the $1,600(USD) allowance still applies, but at least $800(USD) worth of goods must be from the USVI.

You may bring back to the U.S. up to one liter of alcohol (if you are 21 or older) or perfume containing alcohol, up to 200 cigarettes, and up to 100 non-Cuban cigars. If you stay less than 48 hours, you may bring home up to 150 ml of alcohol, 50 cigarettes, and 10 non-Cuban cigars.

If you visit the USVI, you are allowed to bring home up to 1,000 cigarettes (all must be from the USVI) and 5 liters of alcohol, but at least 1 liter must be from the USVI.

You may bring home original works of Caribbean art--such as paintings, drawings, and sculptures--and antiques (officially defined as objects more than 100 years old) duty-free.

You may send packages home duty-free, with a limit of one parcel per addressee per day, with the exception of alcohol or tobacco products, or perfume worth more than $5(USD).

You can mail up to $200(USD) worth of goods home to the U.S. for personal use; be sure to write "PERSONAL USE" on the parcel and attach a list of its contents and their retail value.

If you send home a parcel containing personal belongings that have been used, write "AMERICAN GOODS RETURNED" on the package to avoid a duty fee.

You may send up to $100(USD) worth of goods as a gift ($200 from the USVI) to someone in the U.S. provided you write "UNSOLICITED GIFT" on the package
[/size]
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Captain

your eye ball is just freaky

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

While the info Dannyboy postedi s accurate, it is just the general guidelines. There are many other restrictions, including the fact that it is illegal to bring back Cuban cigars. My DH smokes cigars and says the Dominicans are better than Cubans anyway. And he has smoked good Cubans while on board.
Marty
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

When I went to the Bahama's in '03 I purchased a few Cuban's to bring back to the soliders that were home on Rear-D plus one for my husband. I know, I am not suppose to bring back Cubans....I put them in my makeup case and then nearly had a coranary as we were leaving the ship. I just knew that there were Cuban Cigar sniffing dogs just waiting for me to come off and then I would go to jail.....But the guys loved them and could brag that they actually got to smoke a Cuban!

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Captain

Default Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
When I went to the Bahama's in '03 I purchased a few Cuban's to bring back to the soliders that were home on Rear-D plus one for my husband. I know, I am not suppose to bring back Cubans....I put them in my makeup case and then nearly had a coranary as we were leaving the ship. I just knew that there were Cuban Cigar sniffing dogs just waiting for me to come off and then I would go to jail.....But the guys loved them and could brag that they actually got to smoke a Cuban!
I would not change the bands on the cigars with american bands.
US Customs specifies limits on tobacco from others Countries.
A receipt from the US will help you through customs on purchases made here in the US if you declare them before leaving.
You will be required to file an affidavit, otherwise known as a customs declaration.
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Captain

Default Authentic or Counterfeit?

Here is a link to help you identify authentic Cubin cigars from counterfeit.

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I didnt change the bands. I know the laws. I did it anyway. I know all about customs, trust me. I lived in Germany and flew back and forth many many times and my husband was deployed to Iraq twice and Kosovo once and we had to fill out those to send him stuff.

I know I broke the law. But I dont regret it. The guys that got those cigars deserved them. Some of the ones who I gave them to are dead now. On their second tour of Iraq a IED hit their HumVee killing all but one in it. It was the HumVee that my husband was suppose to be driving that day. But the commander changed his mind at the last moment and wanted my husband to stay back and do something else. My husband never got over it. His best friend died that day. The one who lived suffered horrific burns and lost a hand and a arm. 2 of the guys in that HumVee were a couple of the ones I gave them to.

Me and my husband are now getting a divorce. He never got over what happend in Iraq and I tell people that HE came back but it was not my husband. I sitll think of myself as a military wife. I miss doing things for the soldiers. I live in San Antonio and I go to Ft. Sam to get medical care. Its hard. I have to walk past our soldiers who are missing limbs, have the most horrific burns you can imagine and some are all alone. I cry each time I go there. It reminds me of those who I was close to at Ft. Stewart, Ga.

1/9FA 2nd BCT 3rd ID (those of you who are military will know what that means) lost 9 soliders during their 2nd tour of Iraq. Their first tour of duty there began in Aug 2002 and ended in Sept 2003. We lost NO ONE. That was when the war began. Their unit was the ones who took the Falujja *sp*. Their second tour began in Sept 2004 to Dec 2005.

I know this is totally of topic and I am sorry. I guess I just wanted you to understand why I did what I did.