Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Passenger

Default Will the shops take American Money?

Im going to Montego Bay, Cozumel, and the Cayman Islands. Will those shops there take american money? or is that a per vendor kind of deal, or should I just stick to my credit/debit card. Id prefer to use cash.

From the looks of other posts, Montego Bay isnt really worth shopping at, but where are some good places to get souvenirs at Cozumel and Cayman? We booked our excursions first thing in the morning so that we had the rest of the afternoon to walk around the islands. Is it practical to go back to the ship, eat lunch, change clothes and grab cash to go shopping, or is that too much of a hassle and it might be more practical to bring everything with you and eat on the island.

I appreciate everyones comments, its my first cruise and im not sure what to expect.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Yes they will take US dollar especially in Jamaica and Cozumel.

I wouldn't waste my valuable port time going back to the ship for lunch. Good opportunity to try local fare. Also Cayman is tendered so that will take a lot of extra time.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Andrea, you are right, save your money..Montego Bay is not a shoppers paradise...

And Snoozerman has it right on the money...such a hassle to re tender in Grand Cayman..i especially if there are many ships in port, we had 7 on a NY eve cruise, it's a major pain.....

In Coz, one you walk of the ship, the shopping complex is right there, and it's a fabulous place for souvenirs and shopping. They also have those gum & candy wrapper handbags there cheap..I am going to get one when I go back.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Oh Awesome! I cant wait! Thanks for the tips, Id rather not waste my precious time in the ports either. I cant wait to get some neat souvenirs

What do you mean by re-tender? Do the Cayman Islands not take american money? Do I need to try and order foreign currency? or will they take my VISA? I only have one credit card and Im using it to secure my sign and sail, so I'd rather use cash. I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to read and answer my questions.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea007
Oh Awesome! I cant wait! Thanks for the tips, Id rather not waste my precious time in the ports either. I cant wait to get some neat souvenirs

What do you mean by re-tender? Do the Cayman Islands not take American money? Do I need to try and order foreign currency? or will they take my VISA? I only have one credit card and Im using it to secure my sign and sail, so I'd rather use cash. I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to read and answer my questions.
U.S dollars are accepted by most Cayman Islands stores but I would use your Visa card for most of your purchases on all the islands. You never want to carry too much cash when you go ashore.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea007
What do you mean by re-tender?
Tendering has nothing to do with money. It means your ship cannot pull directly up to the island to dock. You have to take a smaller boat to ferry you to the island. It can be time consuming waiting in line for the tender boat, so going back for lunch would cut into your shopping time.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Admiral

...and re-tendering just means going back and forth to the boat.
Cozumel has many shops right by the pier but I tired of the hawks pretty quickly.
We enjoyed shopping back away a little.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Make sure to use a credit card and not a debit card. Debit cards have much higher fees and do not have the same protections as credit cards. If you have a capital one visa then use it. They are the only US credit card company that does not charge a junk fee on top of the exchange rate. All other US banks do. AMEX is usually 5%!!! Check with your banks if you have more than one visa to see which one has the lowest fee. Stores in cruise ports prefer US dollars or credit cards. No need for any foreign currency. You will need cash though if you want to buy from street vendors and markets. They will take US dollars.

Food is not allowed to be taken off the ship due to customs and import regulations. Eat a big breakfast, grab a snack on the island and then hit the late afternoon buffet when you get back on.