Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default What is the best port for...

What do think is the best port to get deals on jewelry and gems and what is the best port ot get deals on alcohol? Other items like leather goods, designer clothing for both men and women, artwork?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

if you are asking about the Caribbean then i would say that some of the better deals on jewelry and liquor can be found on St. Thomas. St. Maarten also has very good jewerly prices, you can also get some pretty good deals on perfumes, colognes, linens and some designer items on St. Maarten- especialy on the french side. You may be able to find decent deals on loose gemstones and silver in Mexico.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Just be sure and check US prices in advance on what you are interested in. Not everything is a deal in the islands anymore. ANd do shop around when you are there. I have seen huge variances in St. Thomas for almost identical pieces of jewelry. The further away you get from where the ship docks, the lower the prices, as a very general rule.
Marty
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Forgot you asked about art. For wood carvings, either St. Lucia (Eudovic's studio...high end, exquisite work) or Roatan for lower end work. I have never seen much in the way of designer clothing other than maybe Aruba. And, paintings are usually local artists. Some are fun as souvenirs, but that's about it. We did find a really good art gallery in San Juan, but we were walking around and I don't remember the name or location....sorry. Most shops are catering to souvenirs for tourists. It sounds like you are looking for better quality and that's more of a challenge.
Marty
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For higher end art and jewelry, check out Bernard Passman Gallery..here is a link, you can check out their other locations as well..

http://www.caribbeanedge.com/st_thom...dkpassman.html,

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
if you are asking about the Caribbean then i would say that some of the better deals on liquor can be found on St. Thomas.
I am doing St. Thomas - Antigua - Dominica and BVI and had heard that a couple of these Isles have incredible deals on liquor.

Is there any tips or suggestions when buying? Are all the best deals within walking distance of the ship or is it better to cab somewhere further and cheaper? Is there a limit on how many bottles you can bring back to the ship? I always thought the cruise lines forbid bringing liquor back on the boat as it would hurt their on board sales.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Most cruise lines will take the alcohol from you when you reboard, then give it back to you at the end of the cruise. The limits on how much you can bring on board is not determined by the cruise lines, but by US customs. If you exceed the limit, they may make you pay import duty when you return to your home port.
Marty
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The last time I brought liquor home was a mini cruise, from Boston, so no airline worries for me..How are the airlines handling people bringing those boxes of liquor home form the Caribbean?

I tried the TSA website to get some insite to post here, and, found nothing concrete about Caribbean purchases.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator