Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Wink Jewelry "appraisals"

I don't put much stock on "appraisals" provided by retailers, but I was looking at some paperwork and noticed that all the jewelry we have purchased on cruises (I think) have been appraised for the exact purchase price. When we have bought jewelry locally the retailers that have provided an appraisal typically appraise it higher than the purchase price - I guess to indicate what a bargain they gave us. Of course local retailers often want to sell me an appraisal, I decline because and go independent.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Admiral

We have bought plenty of gold and diamonds in the Caribbean over the years most of it from our jeweler in St. Thomas. The appraisal that we receive is always higher than what we bought it for. I, like you don't put that much stock in the higher appraisal. I usually go by the exact price paid. We will be in the Caribbean in December and DW wants to trade one of her rings for something larger. I will see if my jeweler goes by the appraised price or the actual price. We'll see.
Old April 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Admiral

We have never bought jewelry on a cruise .
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I trust the appraisals in the Caribbean jewelry stores about as much as I trust the guys selling goods from the back of a truck.

We have bought a few things in the Caribbean only because we "liked" them. I did get a good deal on a Breitling watch in Jamaica. I had to have it appraised for insurance purposes and the appraisal, at a local watch dealer, was $500 more than the purchase price.

If you like it, buy it. If you want it insured then have it appraised, at home, by a reputable jeweler.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; April 28th, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Really bad grammar. :)
Old April 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Agreed! Those appraisals remind me of the "original prices" on the watches they sell onboard! Love it, buy it,and take it home to a jeweler, who didn't sell it to you

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator