Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Beware Shopping in Port of Cozumel

Beware when shopping in the stores in the Port of Cozumel. I shopped at Ten Dollar Silver on 12/23/11. Told earrings were $42. Said too much and put them back. Guy said how about $35 for the earrings. My daughter wanted a ring too. Ring $30 and earrings $35. I confirmed before I gave my credit card. They covered total on receipt when I went to sign (I didn't notice) when they pulled their hand away I saw I was charged $75! I said you overcharged should be $65. Cashier says "oh no it's right. Earrings are $45. I said then I don't want them (I have not moved from the register). "So sorry we can not do credits". She moves a sign behind some bags that says "no refunds". "Nothing I can do, too bad". I said you can do a credit. Cashier said "I can not do credits. If you know how, here is credit card machine, you do it" This was a deliberate con. They are operating to rip off passengers they know are in a hurry to get back to ship. It was blatant and deliberate. DO NOT SHOP at this store (1st jewelry store when coming back in from parking lot heading to ships). Great selection but VERY dishonest people!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Did you contact your credit card company,and, lodge a complaint? There could be a history of problems with this shop, and a credit back to you, while they investigate, could become perminent.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; December 29th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too would call and and lodge a complaint. When in ports and not spending a lot, use cash only, then no problem...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Arrow Ten Dollar Silver

I too have shopped at Ten Dollar Silver but used cash and bought 2 pair of earrings for $10 each. I had to bargain for that price. The store name is deceiving as they only have mostly tiny items for $10 but we got some nice long dangle earrings for $10 each after negotiating. I would complain to my credit card company and fight the charge. I always try to use cash for the trinkets I bring home from Mexico...And always always negotiate the price. The later in the day it is, the lower the price you can get.
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Another hint is to ask if they can do better if you pay with cash. Stores are charged a fee for a sale, and, a refund as the op wanted. They would prefer cash, and for small amounts, for the buyer, it's easier to control the sale, as we know, from them trying to hide the amount.

Let the buyer beware...

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Admiral

And it's not just Cozumel. All of the ports know that you are leaving on the ship, usually the same day, so you are not likely going to be coming back to make a scene the next day. There are many honest vendors out there, but also a few scammers. The same as here in the U.S., but without our legal system for protection.
Marty
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree with colorcrazie on this, there are a LOT of scammers who know they will never see you again.

What that shop did to the OP makes me crazy. I would have gone outside and looked for a policeman. And then I would have gone to Carnival and told them what happened (if it is in the port area those shops are only there because the cruise lines subsidized the pier).

And finally I would dispute the entire amount with the credit card company - I would just say I asked for a full refund and was denied. That is why you have credit cards.

By the way - there are plenty of tricks that can be done with cash as well. Here is one -

Say you purchase something for $99 and you hand the vendor a handful of five $20 bills - the vendor is up high so you can't see his desk. He takes the money and puts it down out of your sight and suddenly he says "You owe me another $20," and he holds up four $20 bills.

Most people would just say "Oh, sorry." and hand him another $20. I guarantee you this happens much more often than you think.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Angry They Got Me!

I wish I had read these posts before my trip last week.

I bought a pair of Tanzanite earrings (1.28tcw) for $860 and had them reset in gold for $140. I got home and was told they would be worth between $400 and $500 if they weren't CHIPPED.

Now I begin the fight to get my money back. I have contacted the Customer Service of DI and await their return call.

I can't believe I was so stupid - they are beautiful but not worth $1000.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

So sorry to hear that. I have purchased very inexpensive stones of good size in the Caribbean (Tanzanite, etc, even a diamond), but I always ask for a jeweler's glass and look at them closely for defects.

But I think they prey upon people who do not inspect them, giving them the "tourista" price first just to see what happens.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Admiral

The pair of tanzanite earrings at that price were not set in gold? It seems to me for that price it should have been. Did D.I. do the resetting for you, while you waited?

If so, once the stone was out of the mounting,they would have seen the chip, if they were doing what they were supposed to. Was the chip under the prong, once reset, and were BOTH chipped?

With this store's reputation, they should stand by their work. Let us know how you make out.. good luck

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Paul, I have to agree...get a jewlers loupe to use when you go into the stores....when I have pulled mine out, it seems the salesperson, gets slightly more consciencious.

Old February 15th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

DI (Diamonds International)...they have a LOT of complaints and Carnival is still promoting them ....money money money
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Lightbulb Rip-Offs in Cozumel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I agree with colorcrazie on this, there are a LOT of scammers who know they will never see you again.

What that shop did to the OP makes me crazy. I would have gone outside and looked for a policeman. And then I would have gone to Carnival and told them what happened (if it is in the port area those shops are only there because the cruise lines subsidized the pier).

And finally I would dispute the entire amount with the credit card company - I would just say I asked for a full refund and was denied. That is why you have credit cards.

By the way - there are plenty of tricks that can be done with cash as well. Here is one -

Say you purchase something for $99 and you hand the vendor a handful of five $20 bills - the vendor is up high so you can't see his desk. He takes the money and puts it down out of your sight and suddenly he says "You owe me another $20," and he holds up four $20 bills.

Most people would just say "Oh, sorry." and hand him another $20. I guarantee you this happens much more often than you think.

Good point, Paul

I wrote an article years ago for your group, when I joined your group on the Celebrity Solstice with my daughter, after researching Cuban cigars, I found they are one of the biggest money makers on Cozumel
The credit card company can not do anything, they are illegal for Americans to buy, however, Canadians can take them home legally.

The majority of the cigars sold to cruisers have Cubin bands on Mexican or Dominican cigars that say Cohiba's or Romeo & Juliette, which they mark up 500% to 800%. The best part is the cruiser burns the evidence.