Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Default Watches

Has anyone ever bought the $20 watches that are sold on every cruise ,sometimes with a pen ?

I am always tempted but to date I ner bought one.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I have never bought one.

My watches seem to last a long time and I have several. I even have a pocket watch that was made in the USSR.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Booked -Harmony of the Seas. 12/31/16
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife bought one on a Princess cruise once. The battery died the next day. She took it back and they didn't have the same watch nor did they have the correct battery. They wanted to give her a different watch but she wanted a refund.

She had to go to the manager before she got the refund.

No more watches for us. However, I've known Cruisemates who have purchased some and were happy.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When they put out the dump tables filled with watches, I don't remember those, or the price...one time before the brand became so popular Bruce got an Invicta brand watch..wasn't $20.00 though. The ones you mentioned, I would pass on...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 19th, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:27 AM
First Mate

On our Yagtze river cruise, every time we got off the boat or an excursion bus, we would be surrounded by street peddlers. One man in our group bought a $20 "Rolex" at the first stop, and wore it throughout the next 11 days. (It kept good time for the whole period.) At the next stop, he bought a woman's version for $15. After that it became a game to see how low he could bargain the vendors; he wound up buying 16 watches, the least expensive being $3. We all teased him about it, until on the last day someone asked him what he was going to do with all of them. He said he'd give them away as fun gifts, at Christmas. Then several of us wished we'd done the same.

I normally pass by those "sidewalk" sales on the cruise ships, but two years ago I was nearing the end of a cruise with a healthy OBC balance, so I wandered by the watch table and wound up buying a very dressy silver-and-black one that complements one of my formal outfits. It's still running well, and keeps perfect time.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife's watch was more than $20. I think it was around $75.

In Shanghai our guide took us to a back alley that sold knock offs. It was a bit scary. There was a very large man at the door. The guide had to talk to him fo a minute or two and then we were allowed to pass. Betty would not go in until I went in and gave her the OK. I have to say that the knock off Rolex, Breitling, Tags, Pateks and other watches were some of the best I've seen. I am a watch nut but will not buy a knock off. This time I was tempted. I could not tell the difference from the outside. The prices were between $200 and $700.

I did by a nice, leather, Dunhill messenger bag, $50, that I have used for the last ten years.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Yes I have bought several of those watches onboard for $20. The brand name for them is Bella & Rose. Over the past few cruises I have bought perhaps 10 or 12 of them. They all run very well and keep good time. The battery that comes in them does die after a month or so. I take them to my jeweler and put in an upgraded battery and the watch works well. I have gotten sets with a watch, wallet and ink pen. IMO not a bad deal for $20.

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Admiral

I was just looking through the watches that I have left and there is another brand that I bought off the ship and it is Cote d' Azur. This set comes with a watch, pen and pinlight flashlight.

Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Jewel OTS 3/2016
Harmony OTS 12/2016
Serenade OTS 12/2016
Old August 22nd, 2015, 10:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Been on many cruisers but don't remember those $20 watches. Many of the lines have $10 sales with tables of stylish watches, sometimes < $10. My wife has probably bought 50 over the years. I buy one occasionally and am wearing one now. She wears different ones all the time and when someone says they like her watch, she takes it off and gives it to them. She has also given them as gifts and we will include an extra battery with the gift. As far as the battery, we find they last about a year. I buy packages of about 15 batteries online for under $2 and they last a year.

OF C'er
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have never bought one.

My watches seem to last a long time and I have several. I even have a pocket watch that was made in the USSR.

TM
nor I
Old November 2nd, 2015, 06:17 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Don't buy Tag on Carnival Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Has anyone ever bought the $20 watches that are sold on every cruise ,sometimes with a pen ?

I am always tempted but to date I ner bought one.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 06:25 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Fake Tag sold on Carnival Cruise

My son and I cruised on Triumph in Sep 2013. He bought a Tag for over $2,000, thought it was a good buy, but when one of the hands fell loose and he called the MFG with s/n he learned it was counterfeit. Between the 2 of us we have taken probably 13 cruises on Carnival but not again. They should be ashamed. Don't trust them.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedie View Post
My son and I cruised on Triumph in Sep 2013. He bought a Tag for over $2,000, thought it was a good buy, but when one of the hands fell loose and he called the MFG with s/n he learned it was counterfeit. Between the 2 of us we have taken probably 13 cruises on Carnival but not again. They should be ashamed. Don't trust them.
Did he buy it onboard, in the Carnival shop? I would be on the phone with Carnival in a heartbeat. Call Tag and have them send a statement that the serial number is not their's and send it to Carnival.

I find it very interesting that Carnival would knowingly sell a fake, high end, watch in their shops. Watch companies like Rolex, Tag, Baume Mercier, Patek, IWC and others go after brick and mortar (or cruise line) retailers who sell fakes with a vengeance.

Contact Tag and Carnival and have your son get his money back. If it is truly a fake then it should be pretty easy.

Take care,
Mike

Old November 2nd, 2015, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Never bought the cheap stuff. I have noticed "previously owned" Rolex watch sales becoming more popular on ships. They have all the certificates and so forth and the watches I've looked at were in good to excellent condition.