Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2000, 04:59 AM
Passenger

Default Shore Excursion Advice Needed

Hi all! Here is what we (2 adults, one 8-yr-old) have chosen from the Carnival's shore excursion list. What do you think?? If you have a better idea, please say so! Thank you Very much!!!

1). ST. JOHNS: Trunk Bay Beach tour + shopping somewhere on St. Thomas(any suggestions??).

2). ANTIGUA: The Jolly Roger Cruise

3). GUADELOUPE: Carbet Falls tour

4). ARUBA: Atlantis Submarine, DePalm Island, and the Catamaran Sunset Sail. (Is this too much to do in one day?).

This is our first cruise and we would really be grateful for any advice you have to offer.

Thanks!!
Veronica
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: Shore Excursion Advice Needed

> 1). ST. JOHNS: Trunk Bay Beach tour + shopping somewhere on St.
> Thomas(any suggestions??).

Trunk Bay is nice for snorkeling, I think you will enjoy seeing St John because it is kind of a quirky island. Of course shopping St Thomas isn't really a tour, it's free :-)

> 2). ANTIGUA: The Jolly Roger Cruise

Not familiar with it, but it sounds like something your 8-yo will enjoy.

> 3). GUADELOUPE: Carbet Falls tour

This is probably a good way to get out and see some of the natural beauty of one of the lusher Caribbean islands.

> 4). ARUBA: Atlantis Submarine, DePalm Island, and the Catamaran
> Sunset Sail. (Is this too much to do in one day?).

Yes.. I highly recommend the submarine. Honestly, the Catamaran sunset sail may feel like a little too much at the end of the day, especially on the last day. My guess is you will be ready for a long nap by then. A Cat is nice, but it is really just a slow boat ride with cocktails, you might feel better on the cool ship.
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:58 PM
Karen Nelson

At St Johns we took our 5 and 12 yr olds to Coki Point Beach for sun, swimming and snorkeling, it was perfect, beautiful and very small crowd. It is right next to Shell World (or Coral World ?) but it was under construction at the time. Downtown St Johns for shoppping and browsing is great, we walked from the ship it was beautiful.
Regarding Aruba I agree with Paul, the Sunset Sail might be a bit much but it sounds like the submarine is fun and we snorkeled and sunned at DePalm Island and it is still the best snorkeling time we have had on 5 cruises. It was organized and we saw lots of fish and marine life and the guides were well informed.
Have a great time.
Karen Nelson
Never been to Antigua or Guadalope, sorry.
Old August 25th, 2000, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Sounds like you have your cruise plans well made in advance. Trunk Bay @ St. John's is real nice, even if time is short for much shopping, you can get some in right at Havensight Mall where the ships dock. The Atlantis sub will be a great trip in Aruba, but as previously mentioned you may be planning too much for one day; why not just hop the bus to Palm or Eagle beach and enjoy the beautiful surf & sand in front of one of many hotels (Holiday Inn may rent you a chaise lounge) . Antiqua has 356 beaches, an old historic fort and (Admiral) Nelson's Dockyard. The Jolly Roger although fun for drinking age adults may get a little rowdy - the high alchol proof rum drinks abound. The falls are very nice in Guadeluope and the dormant volcano could be an interesting tour. Vary your tours from full day to half day and ask your son what he would like to do, too. They grow up so quickly, you will want to remember every moment of your first cruise.
Bon Voyage.
Old September 10th, 2000, 06:27 PM
jeri

Hi, Just want to comment on your selection of The "Jolly Roger" This is an afternoon of heavy duty drinking and partying. They have morning ones that I am sure are much more tame. BUT the afternoon group gets pretty wild. I would not take my 8 year old on the afternoon trip. Girls are sometimes topless, the music is deafening. I am not a prude, but it is not how I want to spend an afternoon. Hope this will not be a disappointment to hear.