Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Lynda

Default Mayan Ruins/Xel-Ha

Has anyone been on this shore excursion? We are thinking of taking it and I was wondering how the dolphin encounter was at Xel-Ha and how much time we would actualy spend at the ruins and at Xel-Ha
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: Mayan Ruins/Xel-Ha

Wow...

We don't get stumped very often, but you have done it with Xel-ha. Is this a trick questions? Good one ... :-)
Old August 25th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Lynda

No trick question. We are going on the Norwegian Sea out of Houston Sept. 3 and there is a shore excursion at Cozumel called "Mayan Ruins of Tulum/Xel-Ha" which takes you to the ruins and to the Xel-Ha Lagoon. If no one knows about Xel-Ha, maybe I'll be an expert when we get back! If you know any information about this particular excursion, it would be greatly appreciated. I got information directly from Xel-Ha Lagoon but was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge, particularly of the dolphin encounters.
Old August 25th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Winner

When we were in Xel-Ha ther was only snorkelling--very colorful fish, etc. The only dolphins were far out to sea! As I recall Xel-Ha, which is a man-made lagoon, there was no room for dolphins. But I recommend going there anyway.
Old August 25th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Lynda

Thanks, the dolphin encounter is something new for them. They have 6 dolphins in a dolphin enclosure. We are going to try to do this so hopefully we will have some information for other people when we get back.
Old August 25th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I believe Xel-Ha is owned by the same folks that did the park at XCaret, and still being developed.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 29th, 2000, 10:03 AM
10X

I went to Xel-Ha a number of years ago and found the place to be absolutely beautiful. The water is clam and chrystal clear. There isn't any real beach though. The water is accessed by using docks built at the ragged rocky edge. My wife and I plan to spend the whole day there the next time we cruise to that area. Our excursion was also one that took in Tulum and Xel-Ha but also Akamul, so our time in Xel-Ha was limited.
Old September 2nd, 2000, 09:56 AM
chellie

We went to Tulum in 1993 while on our honey moon. The setting and location were magnificent. If the Xel Ha Lagoon is what I am think of we were there, too. I beleive it is in a National Park on Cozumel, called Chakkannub or somthing like that. The lagoon wasn't all that. If you go to this park, however, and leave the lagoon to vist the side of the park that is on the Carribean, the snorkleing is incredible. There is an underwater statuary about 100 yards out. Cool. Take a life vest if you snorkel on this site; the water drops right off to 30 feet, and allows scuba divers to walk into the water wearing their equipment.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Dawn Stefano

We are taking a trip to Mexico in November and are also considering visiting Xel-Ha.

The new dolphin encounter has two different aspects to it and you can sign up for one or both. One part is a 30-minute education program and the other is a 45-minute swim with the dolphins. Be sure your shore excursion includes the option you're most interested in.

Tulum and Xel-Ha are only about 8 miles apart, so there should be adequate time available to take in the sights of both. Xel-Ha includes a crystal-clear swimming lagoon. If you're lucky, the Xel-Ha stop will follow your visit to Tulum. Tulum is hot with little shade so you'll appreciate a refreshing dip after visiting there!