Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Get off the ship or not?

We are taking the Destiny Southern Caribbean itinerary this winter with our three teens. St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Curacao and Aruba are our ports of call.
Obviously with 5 of us will not be purchasing the ship's excursions and are happy to check the sites on our own (after much research which I will be doing!!).

Are any of these stops not worth getting off the ship for?
Any ideas that would keep these teens happy or would they be happier staying on the ship for any of the stops (especially my 19 year old son).
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Get off the ship or not?

Actually, Breeze, all those islands are great ones to visit. In curacao you can just get off the ship and walk around town, we once did a snorkeling tour that was very good there and in Aruba really to see anything of the island you need to rent a jeep or do a tour. You can even use their public busses and get to a beach, the fares were very reasonable and it was easy to get around, the bus terminal was walking distance from the pier. Its really all a matter of taste as to what your family want do do/see on these islands, but they all look good and are interesting to see, enjoy Destiny.

Donnassei/SEalover
Old September 20th, 2000, 10:17 PM
Robocop

By all means, GET OFF THE SHIP! Experiancing these new areas and cultures is the most interesting and wonderful thing one could ever do! Such a learning experiance should never be passed up.
Robo
Old September 20th, 2000, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks. I am a great traveller wanting to experience it all so regardless of which port it is, sounds like I AM GETTING OFF!!
Old September 24th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Dawn Stefano

Donna and Robo are right. These are four great islands and you shouldn't miss them. St. Thomas and Aruba have beautiful beaches, and St. John is a paradise just a short ferry ride away from St. Thomas.

Curacao has excellent snorkeling from shore and St. Lucia has lush scenery, rainforest, waterfalls, and a volcano. You can get around easily by taxi or rent a car if you don't want to invest in the ship's excursion. If you do a little research in advance, you can book many excursions on your own for less than the ship will charge.
Old September 24th, 2000, 04:35 PM
FrankM

Breeze
Donna and Robocop have given you excellent advice on getting off the ship at every port on your itinerary. I have visited each of these ports and you MUST get off the ship. This itinerary you have is an interesting one. There is a lot to experience on this cruise: different climates, different cultures and different languages.

First of all in the winter there is about a diference of 10F between St. Thomas at 70F and the lower Caribbean 80F temperature. Aruba and Curacao are arid, desert climates and the wind blows continuously. In Aruba, the DiVi DiVi trees are permanently leaning over due to the warm winds. Both Aruba and Curasao are a part of Holland and the architecture of the buildings reflects this heritage. Dutch is the official language but, English is spoken widely. Curacao has a unique feature-the pontoon pedestrian bridge over the ship channel. The pontoon bridge swings open to let the ships pass to a lagoon where tug boats swing the ship around, then assists the ship to the dock. Once you disembark the ship you walk over the pontoon bridge to get to town. Have your camera ready as your ship comes into this channel because the buildings are a sight not to miss and demand a few frames of your film. Food is imported to both Aruba and Curacao by boats from Venezuela which is about 35 miles away. In Curacao the boats tie up right downtown against the seawall and set up colorful fruit and vegetable tables under brightly colored overhead awnings. Shopping is good for Dutch products so save some time at the end of the day to do your shopping. With 5 people you might want to just hire a minivan cab for a personal tour rather than pay for 5 excursions at Aruba and Curacao. The cabbies are good guides. But settle on price and make sure he speaks English enough to understand him. Don't be timid here!

St Lucia is it's own country and you will probably be docking in Castries, the capital. St. Lucia is a tropical country and in addition to tourism, bananas are a major income crop. Their bananas are shipped to Europe. There is not much to see right down town near the docks. Here you might want to also hire a minivan cab for a short island tour of banana plantations or take a tour boat south to the extinct volcanos, the Pitons. This is a beautiful site and there is swimming there. Outside Castries is Bagshaws Studios. Sidney Bagshaw started a silk screening business of his artistic drawings of the flowers and birds of the Caribbean. This is all done on Irish linen and the designs are exquite. Bagshaw has a retail outlet at the ship dock at Point Serafin if you don't have time to visit the studio and watch the silk screening made first hand. This is not a comercial for Bagshaw, but I love the wall hangings and placemats from his studios and I love good design. There are many things to do here, but they are spaced out quit a bit. You will have to make a decision on what you want to do.

St. Thomas is the shopping mecca for the islands and it belongs to the USA. There are various tours of the island, but hiring a minibus cab is in order here. This is a part of the USA, but they drive on the LEFT side of the roads here. Don't even think of renting a car. Leave the driving to THEM. But, watch out for traffic coming from the other direction when you cross the streets!

There are beaches at all of the islands you will be visiting on your cruise so you should have no trouble getting plenty of sun and surf. I have just tries to enlighten you to some of the cultural adventures you can add to you family trip. Partaking of some of the sights I have mentioned will give you a bit more depth to your vacation. Remember, three of these islands are foreign countries and have interesting customs and lifestyles to share with you. Absorb all you can and take a lot of pictures for those memory trips in the years to come. Bon Voyage!
Old September 24th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your excellent advice. I have printed off everyone's comments and adding to my cruise planning booklet (am I organized or what?). I of course would have gotten off the ship regardless, but now sounds like my three teens will loved wandering as well. We rare all looking forward to trying snorkelling for our first time.
Old September 30th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think your teenagers would love the jeep tour of Aruba. It's run by DePalm tours and is a lot of fun. It ends with some GREAT snorkeling on DePalm island right off the coast of Aruba.
Have a great time.
Old October 1st, 2000, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

One place you should not get off the ship is Salalah, Oman. What a nothing!