Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel on our own

Thinking of renting a car and seeing the sites. Any suggestions on what to see. There for about 14 hrs.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cozumel on our own

there is so much you could do. Drive up to the ruins in Tulum, when you get there take a guided tour of the ruins. Spend the day at Chanunkaaub National Park, beach, snorkel, dolphin swim, or rent a dive boat and snorkel the Palencaar Reef (amazing)
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Go to Xcaret- take a cab, costs @$12.00 round trip; Xcaret has beautiful beaches, great food, a dolphin swim that my sister loved, manatees, birds, Mayan ruins/dancers- great place to relax costs @$49.00 each for ticket, well worth it.
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually to get to Tulum or XCaret from Cozumel you'll need an amphibious car <VBG>. They are both located on the mainland, so you'd have to take a ferry from Cozumel.

Certainly time to do that in the 14 hrs you're there, if that's what you choose.

The island of Cozumel is pretty easy to get around by car. Only one main road, and it circles the entire island. I enjoy renting a vehicle in Cozumel, and touring; stopping where we want, when we want.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 28th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cozumel on our own

We will be touring on our own this trip and plan on seeing the ruins, the "rough" side of the island, more of the town of San Miguel and playing some putt putt golf in the prettiest course we have ever seen. Last time we went to the park and it was beautiful.

One thing we do before we travel anywhere is read up on the history and culture of the area. There is lots of info online.

On Coz,once you get past the main drag, the town completely changes. It is very third world there. The people are plenty friendly and some speak English.

As in any unfamiliar place be aware of your surroundings. Violent crime is at a minimum but petty theft can be a problem. Don't leave anything of value unattended in your car.

Most of all have fun.
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Where would one rent a vehicle in Cozumel?

Do you drive on the same side of the road as the US?
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Our travel agent strongly recommend that any excursions on Cozumel be done through the ship. Many have been taken advantage of and the crime is extremely high here.
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Which is better - Chankanaab or Xcaret? we are going to Mexico in May with 5 children ages 7 - 11...
Old February 9th, 2003, 01:53 PM
marjmy

Crime is not high in Cozumel, we vacationed there for 2 weeks in November and found it very safe of course as mentioned above petty theft is prevelent but that is mostly due to carelessness on the tourists behalf. Cozumel is probably one of the few places where you do not have to book a shore excursion as there is so much you are able to do on your own. Renting a vehicle to reach the other side of the island is a great idea. Just vegging at one of the beautiful beaches, snorkeling, It is a wonderful island with great people and yummy food and drink.
Don't know why your TA would suggest this. I find Hawaii more crime infested than Cozumel.
Marjorie
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Sooshie

I visited Cozumel for the second time in October 2002. The first time I was there we did the Fiesta Party boat and it was exactly that. It took you to a beach that has some water sports (most at additional cost) and a pool. The beach was called Playa Sol. It was nice, but a little too crowded for us. In October 2002 we took a chance and hired a taxi to take us to a nice beach that he recommended. The beach was gorgeous. It was also free and they had a restaurant that served you on the beach. A pool with a swim up bar and jacuzzi. There were some watersports for an additional charge. This place had hardly anyone there and it was beautiful. The place is called Nachi-Cocom and it is located a little south of Playa Sol and Chakannab. email me if you are interested and I'll email you the brochure and some of our pics. We plan on going back in October 2003...can't wait!
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:47 AM
Mario Sanelli

Hi there.
Can you please email me pictures and brochure of Nachi-Cocom in Cozumel? Did you know how Playa San Francisco Beach is?

Thanks,
Mario
Old February 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Hi!
I would also love to see you pictures and the brochure from nachi-Cocom. My family and I will be making a stop in Cozumel in June. Also, do you think it would be a good place to take kids, mine are 6 & 8. If you could e-mail me the info that would be great.

Thanks,
Ronda
Old March 12th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Wendy L

Default Re: Re: Re: Cozumel on our own

For kids those ages, I think Xcaret is probably better -- much bigger, more to do! We've been back several times to both parks over a number of years, and my sons, now 20 & 15 agree!
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Jamiegunter

You may want to take a Taxi because everyone there drives CRAZY!
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Dan Gerard

hi, planning to go to cozumel in March 04 on the carnival victory. We have never been there before. Looking for some suggestions that are different from the ship"s
excursions. I was also looking at the beach called Mr. Sancho"s. Do you know anything
about that place? Please send me some info. on Nachi-Cocom.
thank you, Dan Gerard
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Cozumel on our own

Just take a cab to Channakub (sp?) park.. cost $5 to get there, $10 to get in... nice safe park, with bar, food & snorkeling

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr.

Old December 19th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Robertj668

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cozumel on our own

Hi

We were in Cozumel in January of last year and we rented a car (With Full insurance) for $75 at the pier from Hertz. We were warned not to rent the Volks Waggen Beatles. No sure why. when we left the Pier we made a left and drove counter clockwise arround the Island stopping any where our heart desired. we felt safe but we made sure of our surroundings at all times. its aone of the islands that we never take ashore excurison!

Its so much fun to Expolore!!!

Robert & Lisa
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:06 AM
MiguelZ

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cozumel on our own

Don't forget the ultimate Cozumel experience...a Dirty Sanchez!!
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:26 PM
bamafan

How much did things cost at Nachi-cocom? How much were the water things at Playa Sol. We'd like to snorkel, layout on the beach and maybe ride a banana boat or wave runner. (I have no idea how much the rental of things will cost!) I'm trying to figure out how much money we need to take to enjoy the fun at the beach.