Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2000, 12:57 AM
Passenger

Default Belize City - Cave Tubing

Has anyone gone on this tour? It sounds like fun, but... there is a 45 min hike through muddy jungle (insect repellent recommended!) and then 2 hrs tubing through caves with a flashlight.

Before investing $85 ($170 for the hubby and me) I'd like to have a little input.

Thanks bunches,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Belize City - Cave Tubing

Didn't go on this tour last year while on the Norwegian Wind, but talked to others who did go on it...They enjoyed it greatly, while coming back a bit muddy and tired. Didn't hear any negative comments, though. It still goes back to the same thing....when you are on a cruise be prepared to part with the $$$$ and always try to keep a good attitude. Have a great time!
Old December 14th, 2000, 02:40 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks!

Raven,

Thanks for the input. I do want to try this tour. I can handle a little mud.

This is our first time with NCL. Were you happy with your experience with them? Any suggestions for us that would be helpful? We're leaving for Miami on Friday morning.

We're really excited to be going and trust me, our attitude is good! We love cruising - anywhere, anytime.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Linda
Old December 14th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Thanks!

Linda -
We aren't real seasoned cruisers, so just about any cruise would be an excitement for us, but will try to give you my thoughts on a few items that still stick out in my mind about the Norwegian Wind from a year ago.

Embarkation was slow, but we survived like everyone else. No surprise there, huh? Meals, while nothing spectacular, were well presented and the only 2 special requests we made during the trip were handled quickly and efficiently. We felt fortunate to have the particular waiters that we did. They were outstanding. We observed others of the staff who appeared to put the absolute minimum effort and time into their work. The term "slinging the hash" came to mind when watching them. Hope your luck is as good as ours was. I understand that NCL has a new deal where you aren't locked into being at a particular table - am curious how that will work out. FYI, I do understand that if you like a particular table and location in the room, that you may reserve it for dinner, but I think each day.

The Coffee Bar just outside of the 4 Seasons Restaurant was a smokers hangout just prior to seating time. I am a smoker, but felt this was quite an irritant to others who had to wade thru the smoke to enter for their seating time. You might consider using the entrance from the rear of the restaurant if you decide to use this mid-ship eating location, and if smoke bothers you. We never did have the experience of the restaurant at the stern of the ship, so no info on that one.

The mid-ship "stretching" of the Dawn a few years back does offer some challenges in figuring out the maze to certain decks, but after a day or two at most you tend to become aquainted with it and aren't making quite so many unexpected "tours".

One show that was quite memorable on our cruise, and evidently a regular event on the NCL ships, is the "Liars Club". We completely enjoyed that!!! Very funny and fun time. Excellent comedians were on the ship too for shows.

Sign up EARLY for shore excursions.....some filled very quickly before we had a chance even. "He who hesitates is lost" really DID apply for some of the shore excursions!!! My wife took part in the aerobics programs and thought they were well done, except the early hours where more than she liked. I think that was done to accommodate people before shore excursions. Deck chairs came at a premium during midday, so if that is a big thing for you grab your spot early and hang on!

The sports bar at the stern of the ship became our late afternoon break from other activities. Grabbed some popcorn and a drink and relaxed outside protected from the wind there. Nice view although it would get busy there.

The cattle calls for shore excursions varied. Some were handled better than others. Luck of the draw I guess. If you are going to Roatan, 3rd world dirt poor applies. The beaches and the reefs are the attraction there. Very interesting to see how people live there, but don't plan on any shopping there, if that is an interest to you.

Disembarking was terrible for us. Had to be out of the cabins and waited almost 3 hours before getting off. I understand that this is much better now with the changes that NCL has instituted though...hope so for your sake!!!!

All in all we very much enjoyed the NCL cruise. There were negatives like in any cruise, and possibly more on this than some others, but we HAVE been on worse!!! I hope and trust you will have a wonderful and safe cruise! Put up a post when you get back, okay??? Ohhhhhhhh, and DO go to the Chocoholic Midnite Buffet they have on one night.......It's fantastic if you love chocolates!!!!!!!!

Bon voyage,
Raven