Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sea Turtles

We are Cruising on Horizon from Aruba to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados and would like to know the best place to snorkel with Sea turtles and if you can do it right off the beach or will we have to take a boat? would that be with the ships excursions or on your own? Any idea of the cost?
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sea Turtles

we just got back from a cruise on the Dawn Princess. At St. Thomas we took a snorkeling excursion that took us to Trunk Bay, St. John's and then also to a site on Greater St. James Island. While we saw no turtles in Trunk Bay, the guide said that they were regularly seen there. We did see a couple at the second site. I have a hunch that your chances might be better on an excursion than just "hoping" to find them on your own. We didn't hit the water at St. Kitts and weren't at Barbados or St. Lucia, so can't help you there. Have a great time!
Old February 16th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Hyway

Cococay isn't on your itinary, but I saw a sea turtle while scuba diving there. I swam with-in a yard or so and snapped its picture. I think it is a hit or miss thing.
Old February 16th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Dawn Stefano

A sea turtle encounter is truly a hit or miss thing. My husband and I are avid snorkelers who've spent much time in the waters of both the Eastern and Western Caribbean. After 6 years of snorkeling together, we finally saw our first sea turtle last year. Where? The Great Barrier Reef, Australia.

You could see one off any of the islands you've mentioned, but your best bet would be to head over to St. John from St. Thomas. Trunk Bay is beautiful, but overcrowded, so you might want to head to Leinster Bay (Waterlemon Cay), Maho Bay or Cinnamon Bay. Leinster, in particular, has lots to see and I've heard of frequent turtle sightings there. But it takes a little more effort to get there than Trunk, which is where most of your fellow passengers will be heading. I doubt your ship will have excursions to anywhere but Trunk, so you could do some research and sign up with an independent tour operator on the island, or go it alone by taxi.

Good luck and let us know if you spot one. I'll be jealous!

Good luck and let us know if you spot one. I'll be jealous!
Old February 16th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We too spoted some turtles off of 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman. Although, we were there for 5 days and that only happened one time, although we did keep looking :-) The time we did see them, we weren't looking for them, so may-be you'll see some when you don't expect to??

Donnassei
Old February 27th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jill

The tour info we recently received for the Dawn Princess lists a "Sea Kayak and Turtle Encounter" in Barbados. You paddle for 45 min., then tie up to a floating pontoon for an "upclose encounter with the hawksbill turtle". It says you then don snorkeling gear and frolic among the turtles as a guide feeds them. They guarantee that turtles will be seen, or you receive a 25% refund. Trip #BGI-T