Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling vest?

I'v read several comments about snorkeling vests, but I have to admit I do not know what
it is, or what it is for. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Snorkeling vest?

Hi Michael,
Its like a life vest, you can adjust how much air you want, just to help you float better while snorkeling. When I wear one, I put just a little bit of air in and I can
stay out there for hours, its great. Don't think I'd snorkel without one, you do get tired and sometimes you forget which direction you are going in and could be far from the beach, I highly recommend them. Hope this was some help.

Donnassei
Old March 11th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have questions about snorkeling. I would like to try to do this when we are on our cruise. How much does it usually cost? Is it pretty easy for a first timer? I am not that wild about swimming in the first place but am willing to give it my best shot just to say I've been snorkeling. It sounds so neat to be able to see the sights under water.
Our cruise is the second week of April. We have not gotten any of our documents yet, so I don't know any details about shore excursions yet. Hope we get them soon. I plan to call our travel agent this week to see what the deal is.
Thanks for any info.
Old March 11th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have questions about snorkeling. I would like to try to do this when we are on our cruise. How much does it usually cost? Is it pretty easy for a first timer? I am not that wild about swimming in the first place but am willing to give it my best shot just to say I've been snorkeling. It sounds so neat to be able to see the sights under water.
Our cruise is the second week of April. We have not gotten any of our documents yet, so I don't know any details about shore excursions yet. Hope we get them soon. I plan to call our travel agent this week to see what the deal is.
Thanks for any info.
Old March 12th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

deb wrote:
>
> I have questions about snorkeling. I would like to try to do
> this when we are on our cruise. How much does it usually
> cost? Is it pretty easy for a first timer? I am not that wild
> about swimming in the first place but am willing to give it
> my best shot just to say I've been snorkeling. It sounds so
> neat to be able to see the sights under water.
> Our cruise is the second week of April. We have not gotten
> any of our documents yet, so I don't know any details about
> shore excursions yet. Hope we get them soon. I plan to call
> our travel agent this week to see what the deal is.
> Thanks for any info.

Hi Deb,
Its very easy to get the hang of snorkeling, just takes a little time and definately go with the vest. As for price, it depends from port to port, if you're going on the western itinary, try to get to Sting Ray City and snorkel with the sting rays,
its a great expierence. Once you get your shore excersion information, I'm sure there will be some snorkeling tours and they will help you get started, enjoy and have fun.

Donnassei
Old March 12th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Timmy

Deb, what cruise line are you using, usually you can get info from there web sight, we are also sailing in April on the Inspiration. the price of snorkling depends what island you on and what cruise line your using, snorkling is easy and lots of fun, like donna said, be sure to bring aunder water camera with you, they gauldge you if you buy it on the shore tour...let me know if you want any more info...Timmy.
Old March 17th, 2001, 01:07 PM
jerilyn

Hi Deb, My husband is not a swimmer and he is really into snorkeling. He found out the vest holds him up and he knows how to move around in the water. He has jumped off a boat out in deep water with no problem. This was after he practiced a few times from the beach. We bought our own vests because every where you go they are different. The ship has a large vest with flotation in them. They will be fine for a first time. But if you get into it, there are vests that are all nylon and have a tube to inflate if you need or want. Some of them have straps that go in between your legs, which keeps the vest from floating up around your chin. You will be addicted no matter which vest you use, it is so much fun. Just be sure to wear a vest all the time. You get a lot more tired than you think, and you can just flip over and rest a bit. Jeri
Old March 21st, 2001, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

We will be on the NCL Majesty going to Aruba, Curacao, Tortola and St. Thomas. If you could just give me a range of a price to snorkel that would help, as in 25-50, 50-75, 75-100, 100+.
Thanks
Old March 26th, 2001, 07:03 AM
FrankM

Deb,

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise in which I tool a snorkeling excursion at St. Johns USVI. My cruise ship, the MS Veendam, contracted with a shore excursion company in St.Thomas to boat us out to St. John's Island from the cruise ship in St. Thomas about a 45 min. boat ride to St. John. There we boarded a Jitney(ooen air bus) where we were driven to Trunk Bay for snorkeling. I believe the cost was about $55/ person for everything including the snorkeling gear. The only thing that was not covered was a snorkeling vest which was an additional $5.
Trunk bay is one of the 10 top beaches in the world. We were given about 1 1/2 hours to swim, snorkel or sit on the beautiful beach. Trunk Bay is in a U. S. National Park. Lockers were available to lock up valuables, however, there were people in our group that just watched our belongings on the shore. There is a snack bar, gift kiosk, and changing/shower facility there also. The whole trip from the cruise dock took about 4 1/2 hours which left us some time to shop at the Havensight Mall at the cruise dock before departing for San Juan, PR.

Hope you give it a try. Enjoy your cruise.

Frank M