Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2001, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Default Golden Eagle Catamaran

Has anyone done this excursion on St. Martin? Is this a good trip for kids? Thanks, Carrie
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Golden Eagle Catamaran

My husband and I went on the Golden Eagle Catamaran in January and loved it. We were on Carnival's Fascination. From the cruise dock you take a small tender to the marina and get on the catamaran there. If you sit on the netting in the front of the catamaran you will get soaked on the way to the beach, we sat in the cab by the bar. We went on a very windy day, so the seas were very rough. I would say the majority of the people on the catamaran got sick. They make you puke off the back of the ship, so the toliets don't get clogged up, so we got to see a little more then we wanted.
The private beach is very nice. They provide snorkeling gear and "noodle" floats. One of the boat staff will lead those who are interested on a snorkeling tour around the point of the island, I would not suggest this part for the kids unless they are experienced snorkelers.
The ride to the island is a fast, racing ride and the ride back to the marina is a slow leisurely sail. They do have free rum punch as part of the price of the excursion, but no one got to drunk. I think that had more to do with the fact that being drunk makes being seasick worse.
If your kids are good swimmers then you should have a great time.
Old April 2nd, 2001, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Hi Carrie...

My wife and I did this excursion last year off the Grand Princess. We both enjoyed it immensely, even though my wife got seasick on the way out to the private island. This boat is a very large catamaran. It is beautiful and very well equipped, but like any boat that size it tends to pitch and roll in the swells. If anyone in your group is prone to seasickness, I would definitely take some Bonine or equivalent ahead of time.

The crew was fabulous and handled a couple of people that got seasick with TLC. There were prepared with pre-made ice packs, cool drinking water and a special place to sit in the back of the boat. After we got to the island and ashore, my wife recovered nicely and we had an enjoyable stay and return trip.

The crew was extremely attentive and very entertaining. They played great music on the sound system, served adult beverages as well as soft drinks and provided some baked goods for snacks on the return.

The snorkeling in my opinion was just okay, but I may not have made it to the best location. Be forewarned... the private island that they took us to is on the French side and clothing is optional. While we were there, another sail boat anchored several hundred yards up the beach from us, and all the passengers hit the beach... NUDE! I was kinda interesting but most were not visually appealing. <grins>

I give this excursion high marks. I hope that you will enjoy it too.

Bob "MacTarheel"
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/loveboat2.mid" volume=-500>

Old August 11th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We went on this excursion twice. The first was in Dec., 1997 and the seas were rougher, but the only time my husband (who is very prone to seasickness!!) was feeling sick was went he went into the cabin area. If he stayed above he was fine. We enjoyed it so much, we went back and took our kids. They were 5 & 8 and we went in May. The seas were so calm that very few people got splashed even if they sat on the net. My son wanted to get splashed! The captain took my son and taught him many things about sailing. We didn't snorkel, so they played on the beach. They provide many beach and swimming gear. The serve complimentary rum punch or champagne, no one was drunk--the kids absolutely loved it.
feel free to email me with any questions you may have.
have a great time.