Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default TRUNK BAY - SOS

Does anyone think we need to reserve the snorkeling Trunk Bay snorkeling/boat adventure or can we just take the taxi to Red Hood Ferry and then another short taxi ride to Trunk Bay. I just don't want to miss the opportunity but also don't want to book that excursion if it's more than we want. Is it easy to get to Trunk Bay on our own? We're leaving real soon for our trip. Can't wait!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2001, 05:51 AM
FrankM

Default Re: TRUNK BAY - SOS

Laura,

A couple of weeks ago I was in St. Thomas and signed up for an excursion to snorkle at Trunk Bay. The motor boat picked us up right at the Cruise ship dock in Charlotte Amalia and took us to Cruz Bay on St. Johns where we boarded Jittneys to Trunk Bay. It is much easier to take a tour than try to arrange each piece of the transportation yourself. The boat trip alone was about 45 min. long each way. Unless you are especially venturesome, I'd take the tour. That will also leave you time to shop in St. Thomas afterwords.

Frank M
Old March 29th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the advice Frank. I tend to be adventuresome but I'm trying to make this as hassle free as possible. How big was the boat that took you to St. John's. How deep is the water you snorkeled in? I love to swim but the rest of my family are not real accomplished swimmers. Thanks again.
Old March 30th, 2001, 02:50 PM
FrankM

Laura,

Trunk Bay is a Beach-side Bay so you walk to the beach from the parking lot where the jitney parks. For non-snorkelers, they will have a beautiful beach to sun or play on. There is a small island about 100 feet off the shore and the snorkeling trail is to one side of it. You can wade out to the snorkeling area until the water is deep enought to swim or snorkel. Where the coral and fish life are located around the island is about 6 to 10 or so feet deep. To see them up close you have to dive down to just above the coral. You don't want to touch the coral as they are "protected" in this environment. It is easy enough though, to dive down, see the coral and fish and come up for air or just cruise along the surface with the snorkel and enjoy the view. The water is a rich tourquois color. You'll love it.

The boat had about 60 of us snorkelers and was not full. It could hold about 150 people. It had air conditioning inside on the main deck or you could enjoy the upper deck in the open air where most of the passengers enjoyed the trip. The excursion leader described the coast line and pointed out the island vacation homes of famous people as we went by such as Michael Jordan's home.

The whole trip was fun and we returned to the ship in time to get the last lunch serving. Trunk Bay is said to be one of the 10 best beaches in the world You will enjoy it.

Good Luck.

Frank M.
Old March 30th, 2001, 10:59 PM
Duane T

Laura-We were in St. Thomas end of Feb. Took on of the Princess sponsored tours called the "Five Star Beach and Snorkel" (something like that). We met the boat that took us to St. Johns right at the dock where our ship docked (next to Havensight Mall). Nicely maintained ship. Running commentary enroute to St. Johns, which takes about an hour each way. Snorkeling gear passed out before arrival. We had taken a snorkeling lesson on board the Ocean Princess the day before, which was helpful. Upon arrival, anchored right off the beach. Some folks snorkeled from the ship, some elected to take Zodiacs to the beach and just relax or snorkel from beachside. Beautiful beach. I would recommend the a tour. Ours left at 12:30 in the afternoon and returned about 4:30 p.m. We got up early that day and took a taxi into Charlotte Amalie and the shops open at 9a.m. We shopped hard and were able to get back to the ship in time for a buffet lunch before heading out for our snorkeling/beach trip. I would recommend doing an organized tour to maximize your time. Enjoy!