Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2001, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Default America's Cup Regatta

Has anyone done this excursion in St. Maarten? How long does the actual sailing last? My wife is slightly prone to sea-sickness. Do you think she could handle it with some Dramamine or equivalent? I would appreciate any information and opinions.

Thanks... Bob "MacTarheel"... only eight days til the Grand Princess
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2001, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: America's Cup Regatta

Hi Mac,
We hopefully will be doing this excersion in Nassau in a few weeks, will let you know. I do hear it can be physical and if people are prone to sea sickness, this may not be for them??

Donnassei
Old March 31st, 2001, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Hi Donna...

I guess I'll be letting YOU know... I have booked the regatta excursion for our stop in St. Maarten on April 12. I think you can participate in the physical activities or just sit back, relax and let everyone else do the work. I look forward to cranking some wenches myself. We're gonna load the bride up with Bonine and hope she survives. <grins>
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/seacruise.mid" volume=-700>
Now it's almost time to P...A...R...T...EEEEE!

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old March 31st, 2001, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bob,
I do look forward to hearing about this excersion, just wondering exactly what job you will do??? Do tell when you get back. Guess I'll be leaving as you return, have a great time!!

Donnassei
Old April 4th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Ashley Nichols

I did the regatta in St. Maarten 4/99. It lasted several hours, including the instruction. Each participant is assigned a boat and then given a task. It is designed for those like me who know little about sailing. I was given the job of primary grinder and instructed as to the technique for shifting the main sail by means of turning a hand crank. This was rather exhausting work after a couple of hours but its gets very competitive as you are racing other boats. My wife, who I proposed to after the race, was unable to keep up with her job as grinder and it was suggested that she sit at the front of the boat and have a drink. She gladly took the captain up on his offer and enjoyed the rest of the race.

There were two instructors on board, aside from the captain, to give commands and advice. I never felt like I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

I should mention that the wind will have great impact as far as the time length of the race. We had a strong wind that day and finished earlier than anticipated so we were allowed to take turns at the wheel as we cruised around the bay.

In my opinion it is an excursion not to be missed if you have a least bit of a competitive nature and enjoy being on the water.

Your wife may want to take some dramamine or bonine just in case but no one on our boat complained of seasickness.

I hope this was of some help.

If you have any specific questions just post them as a response and I will receive them as email.

Ashley Nichols
Old April 4th, 2001, 11:12 PM
First Mate

Hi Ashley...

Your message was extremely helpful and informative. Thank for the detail synopsis. I know that we will both will enjoy. We've already bought the Bonine for the wife. <grins>

I already have a confirmed booking for the midday sailing through Princess online booking service. This is the most excited I've been since my first scuba diving excursion.

Which yacht did you sail on? Did you win? Are these the real America's Cup boats?

Bob "MacTarheel"
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/seacruise.mid" volume=-800>
Old April 12th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Thanks for the message posting on the Regatta. My husband and I were thinking about it on the NCL Majesty trip on 4/15. What did it cost per person then if you remember?

Thanks,
Kim

Ashley Nichols wrote:
>
> I did the regatta in St. Maarten 4/99. It lasted several
> hours, including the instruction. Each participant is
> assigned a boat and then given a task. It is designed for
> those like me who know little about sailing. I was given the
> job of primary grinder and instructed as to the technique for
> shifting the main sail by means of turning a hand crank.
> This was rather exhausting work after a couple of hours but
> its gets very competitive as you are racing other boats. My
> wife, who I proposed to after the race, was unable to keep up
> with her job as grinder and it was suggested that she sit at
> the front of the boat and have a drink. She gladly took the
> captain up on his offer and enjoyed the rest of the race.
>
> There were two instructors on board, aside from the captain,
> to give commands and advice. I never felt like I didn't know
> what I was supposed to be doing.
>
> I should mention that the wind will have great impact as far
> as the time length of the race. We had a strong wind that
> day and finished earlier than anticipated so we were allowed
> to take turns at the wheel as we cruised around the bay.
>
> In my opinion it is an excursion not to be missed if you have
> a least bit of a competitive nature and enjoy being on the
> water.
>
> Your wife may want to take some dramamine or bonine just in
> case but no one on our boat complained of seasickness.
>
> I hope this was of some help.
>
> If you have any specific questions just post them as a
> response and I will receive them as email.
>
> Ashley Nichols
Old April 17th, 2001, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Hi Kim...

Our America's Cup Regatta excursions from the Grand Princess last week, was $78.00 per person which included the water taxi ride from and back to the ship. They also provided beer, bottle water and soft drinks onboard and rum punch at the dock when you return.

It was a fantastic adventure! I hope that you will give it a try.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old May 16th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob

This is a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it. Two people on our boat got seasick. It actually helps that you have a job to do and are busy most of the time.
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:04 PM
First Mate

We did this in St. Maarten in Dec, 2000. It was good fun. I couldn't keep up with the grinders=too hard. So, I sat back and enjoyed my time. The only downside (?) was that you got very wet up front!!

No one got sick. One tip: Some folks booked reservations on shore and not through the ship and got a lower rate. Extra races/times were added, so everyone got to go.