Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2001, 03:33 PM
Nick Kozloff

Default Calica, or Cancun?

I Just scheduled a cruise for the imagination and our ports of call are Calica/cancun, and Grand Cayman. I heard some rumors that some the ship ports in Calica, and that the Cancun part is basiclly false advertisment, unless you want to pay a 150 dollar cab ride. I was just wandering if anyone had any information about this, so we could be prepared for the situation when the time comes, thank you

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2001, 05:51 PM
Candy

Default Re: Calica, or Cancun?

Be prepared.. its true... although the Imagination is one of my fav ships.. It is VERY misleading even mentioning Cancun.. They might as well say Calica/Cozumel.. because its not even close..
Playa del Carmen is close enough to enjoy..shops and beaches if you like. I would suggest a snorkle tour offered by the ship.
Hope this helps..
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:04 AM
Nick Kozloff

Well, I've heard a variety of things, and places to go instead of cancun, I've heard that a place called Xcaret is something to see, and playa del carmen. I'm into nice beaches and the family is into shopping of course, go figure. So would you reccomend playa del carmen, or Xcaret for a nice relaxing day? Thank you for your time, and happy sailings.

-Nick
Old July 5th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Candy

Oh I'd definetly choose the park (Xcaret) for relaxation. Playa has alot of shops with the same stuff, and annoying, aggressive, venders.. Didnt go to the beach, but saw it, in playa... its bathing suit opt. BTW. Let me know how the park is.. Have fun!
Old August 21st, 2001, 05:13 PM
John Moreno

I went on the Celebration last December out of Galveston. It was great. Calica is basically a new and undeveloped port. In fact a cement plant actually operates in the area. They are trying to fix it up little by little. Your probably not missing much by not going to Cancun. It's too touristy and crowded. Your better off in the Calica area. I went to the ecological park X-Caret. This is a must do if you like nature and the ocean. They have a excellent exhibit of the mayan ruins of the region in case you don't want to go and see them in person. You can learn just as much from the exhibit. I also went to Playa del Carmen. This is the next and newest hotspot. Cancun has worn out its place. The vendors are more likely to bargain with you here than in Cancun since it is a new stop and they don't take you for granted like in Cancun. If you need any more info let me know. You can look up X-Caret on the net to see what it has. Have fun
Old August 28th, 2001, 04:20 PM
First Mate

We went to X-Carat in Calica, beautiful park! There is a great beach, you can get drinks if you want. You can also snorkel. And a great place to walk around and look at nature. Beautiful place!

We just took a taxi from the pier, short drive. Watch out, they drive like nuts there!