Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:13 PM
First Mate

Default Alaska Shore Excursions

HELP! Going to Alaska end of August on 7-day cruise. Need help on selecting shore excursions. They seem a little pricey - so don't won't to pick out wrong excursions. Anyone who has cruised Alaska please help with your shore excursion picks and comments. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Shore Excursions

Yes, the tours can add up. We spent over $1,000 for 2 on a 7 day cruise just on tours; two flights @ almost $600. Ask yourself, what would I regret most if I came home and did not do or see. My answer was "Walk on a Glacier". We took the helicoptor flight to Mendenhall and landed on the glacier in Juneau. Also at Skagway, the White Horse Pass Railroad trip is nice (very little to do in Skagway as it has one main street which is about 4 blocks long!). I understand there is now a tour that is one-way train and the other way by bus. This would give you two different perspectives of this beautiful land. In Ketchican, you can just do a self walking tour but we took the Saxman Village tour which proved to be very interesting. There may be kayaking or boat tours available once on shore which would be less expensive. Also, while in Juneau, you can do a self guided walking tour and stop into many historical places.
Bon Voyage
Old July 29th, 2001, 11:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alaska Shore Excursions

Hi there...we went to Alaska two years ago in August on RCCL Rhapsody of the sea. It will be cool and rainy so take light weight rain gear and sweatshirts. You cannot miss the helicopter flight to the glacier from Juneau. Then spend a few extra bucks and hike the glacier. They will suit you up and give you a course on how to use th gear and how to hike it. They will take you on a 1-2 hr. tour of the glacier. What an experience on the blue ice and the water. It is one of those "once in a lifetime things and ince you are already there it is well worth it. Also the White Horse Rail trip is OK. You get to see much more than normal. We also took an "eco tour" out of Ketchikan I believe and that was nice. Takes you to a forested island off the coast on Zodiac boats. You may see whales on the way. It gets wet though but a nice trip I will paste your response to my response and second what they way..
Ask yourself, what would I regret most if I came home and did not do or see. My answer was "Walk on a Glacier". We took the helicoptor flight to Mendenhall and landed on the glacier in Juneau. Also at Skagway, the White Horse Pass Railroad trip is nice (very little to do in Skagway as it has one main street which is about 4 blocks long!). I used the ship's bookings since they are already set up to do so. I searched the internet for tours to alaska and also tours using RCCL to see what was offered and what to expect on them. Some people on the net said they would rather book their own tours...but you will have to decide.