Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Western Carribbean on Century

Anyone have any feedback on the following shore excursions:

Sundancer Cruise to Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios (is it dangerous & do the locals really give you a hard time?)
Snorkeling at StingRay City in Grand Cayman (is it scary???)
Fury Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach in Cozumel (haven't heard much (good or bad) about Cozumel)

I've heard it's better to see Key West on your own...so we're not considering booking anything for our Key West stop...

My husband & I have cruised once (Bahamas) & like to stay busy...we're young & active & just want to have a good time (without being bored).

Any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Marnie

Default Re: Western Carribbean on Century

It may be a little late responding to your message, but I'll send a response anyway. I've only done the Dunn's River Falls. I was rather disappointed in it. I live in Pennsylvania and we have lots of rivers with water falls in the Laurel Mountains. And I expected the falls would be just as impressive as the ones I saw in Hawaii. So my expectations were too high.

I'd recommend the excursion it if you've never seen falls before. The climb can be a little dangerous. They expect you to form a human chain, you depend on someone in front of you to help you up and someone behind/below you not to pull you down. My boyfriend and I ended up breaking off from the group and climbing separately. It was much easier and safer. I wore Keds type shoes for the climb and they were fine. It was fun, but not nearly as impressive as I expected. With not much else to do in Jamaica, it may be your only choice. Of course there's always snorkeling.

As far as the locals, I found them to be very pushy when you walk through the market after climbing the falls. They will actually grab hold of you to try to sell you something. But you shouldn't be carrying anything of value for the excursion anyway. I found out later there is a way to get back to the buses without going through the market. But I don't know how.