Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:03 PM
John & Tammy

Default Our Stuff

We plan on swimming/snorkeling on all of our shore excursions. What do you do with all of your stuff (money, I.D., clothes, etc.)? I noticed that some places had lockers that you could rent, but probably not all. Any advise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Our Stuff

Your "stuff" can be at some risk on many beaches.
Some have lockers, if they do ,use them.
We buy plastic waterproof containers that go around your neck
to carry money, credit card, one id , and cruise card . Anything else we leave on the beach when swimming isn't usually worth taking. The plastic containers can be bought at sporting and camping stores and on board on most ships in their store.
Enjoy your swimming and snorkeling. 4 months and 16 days for me
(but whose counting).
Old January 12th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Aaron

There were few places where I felt comfortable with lockers. Chakanaab on Cozumel and Xcaret on the mailnland are two that are gov't controlled and I felt totally safe with. If you are hiring a driver, generally you can leave items with him or in the car. Waterproof bags and zip lock bags are a great convenience.
Old January 19th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bill is right about the plastic holders. They call them 'water wallets' Make sure to get the square flat kind, not the round ones. They held my cash, credit cards, sign and sail card and even 2 bracelets and a watch that I forgot to leave in the safe onboard. Don't take anything that you can't afford to lose. That means expensive cameras, camcorders, etc. Wear clothes that you won't mind being without. Unless you are with a large group where you can work in shifts to be a designated 'stuff watcher'. Buy an inexpensive camera or a disposable one.

So far I have never had a problem, but then I don't take anything of real value to the beach.

Have a great time.

Judy
Old January 21st, 2002, 03:29 PM
Robocop

We also use those plastic waterprood holders that go around you neck to hold our sail&sign card, CC, and the small amount of cash we carry. We only take one of those waterproof disposable camera's if we know we are going to the beach, they take very good photos and we don't really need the professional 35mm quality ones ourself. As for anything else like jewelry, (we take the minimum anyway), or other things we consider valuable, we always take a plastic zip lock bag. We place those articles in the bag, seal it and then as inconspicuosly as possible dig out a small hole in the snad under our towel and bury it. A true thief will still get it if they are watching, but the thief that is just looking for a quick grab isn't about to go digging around in the sand under you towels etc in the hopes of finding something valuable!.
Jim
Old January 21st, 2002, 11:23 PM
Passenger

John & Tammy,

If someone has offered this already please excuse the repitition.
You can purchase a swimming case, in which you can place your identifications, money, keys, etc. It resembles a cigarette case with a string to hang it around your neck or your wrist. It is pretty tight, and secure, however if you plan to be swimming somewhere where it could get caught on then I would just play it safe and take the lockers.