Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Default Beginners scuba

I have always wanted to try scuba diving but have been unable to find the time to get certified. I have noticed some islands offer beginners scuba diving. There is a short lesson, and the dives are shallow. Has anyone trid one of these dives and if so, are they safe. I am sailing the Eastern Carribean on the Pride the end of February. Does anyone know if the cruise ships offer such an excursion. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Beginners scuba

Hubby has dove for over 20 years and loves it. If you are going to be in Cozumel, contact Flash Adventures and see what they can do for you. Some of the lines do have Scuba Diving where you can get certified as you cruise. You might want to see into that.
Vicki
Old January 28th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Two yrs ago I did this in St. Thomas. The Coki Beach Dive shop offers a beginners dive. It was totally awesome. You can check them out on their web site <www.cokidive.com>. There is a section for cruise passengers.

I went on my own. Took a cab to Coki Beach. Got there in time to join the class. The class is about 45 min. with a quiz at the end. Then you are fitted with the equipment. I had my own mask and fins. Once in the water there are some more instructions and practicing. Then it is off to the reef. We were down about 25 feet for 30 minutes. Absolutely marvelous. I would love to do it again.
'
The cost was $50.00 for the dive, $15.00 for the cab and $17.00 for the shirt I just had to buy. The cruise excursion was $99.00 so I saved a bit. Plus there were only 5 people in the dive with two guides.

It was worth every penny. I will be in St Thomas in Oct and am thinking of doing it again.

Have a great cruise.

Judy
Old January 29th, 2002, 12:02 AM
alice

it can be fun, but depends on person, myself i did it and paniced as im a nose breather, nothing like thinking you can breathe, i have since gone for lessons, if you have never done it see if your local dive shop has trial nites for free or small fee,its worth it, its a wonderful sport but shouldnt be taken as litely as everone does.JudyL wrote:
>
> Two yrs ago I did this in St. Thomas. The Coki Beach Dive
> shop offers a beginners dive. It was totally awesome. You
> can check them out on their web site <www.cokidive.com>.
> There is a section for cruise passengers.
>
> I went on my own. Took a cab to Coki Beach. Got there in
> time to join the class. The class is about 45 min. with a
> quiz at the end. Then you are fitted with the equipment. I
> had my own mask and fins. Once in the water there are some
> more instructions and practicing. Then it is off to the
> reef. We were down about 25 feet for 30 minutes. Absolutely
> marvelous. I would love to do it again.
> '
> The cost was $50.00 for the dive, $15.00 for the cab and
> $17.00 for the shirt I just had to buy. The cruise excursion
> was $99.00 so I saved a bit. Plus there were only 5 people
> in the dive with two guides.
>
> It was worth every penny. I will be in St Thomas in Oct and
> am thinking of doing it again.
>
> Have a great cruise.
>
> Judy
Old February 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Gaines

You should look into getting certified before you leave home. We dive and on our last cruise we met a couple who was getting certified while on the cruise, they spent as much just on getting certified as we did for the certification and all equipment, including tanks and a great camera. Of cuorse they had to do their 4 open water dives at two different ports, and had to negotiate the price of the dives with the excursion operators. I know they spent $600 in Roatan for the first 2 certification dives. Thats one complete set of gear.....
Old February 10th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Blumoo

Coki Dive shop offers free transportation from the cruise dock if you pre book begining scuba with them. Just go to their web site listed by the above poster. Saves even more money!
Old February 13th, 2002, 12:56 PM
MikeInPgh

I agree with some of the comments posted here, it is worth getting a full certification. You learn more than how to inhale and exhale.

Contact a local scuba shop. Do your book and pool work with them and they can help you locate a dive shop on your route to do your open water dives.

Trust me, the best stuff is deeper.