Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2002, 05:42 PM
CreativeCoconut

Default Prebook Excursions

I want to do the Chukka Blue Horseback riding in the western Caribean through Carnival Inspiration. I am so afraid that it will be booked. How can I prebook this excursion before we even leave to fly down to the pier?
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Prebook Excursions

Creative Coconut,
As far as I have been hearing (or reading actually) you probably can book it from home. Try the cruise lines website, and find out the excursions and if you can book it now or when you can.

Also if there is one thing we saw over and over again, is that almost everytime you get off the ship there are several cabs just waiting to take you wherever you want to go. And lets be serious, the ships will only push those tours that they feel are safe and tried over and over. Therefore the cabbies will know exactly the tour you are talking about. If they can get you on it, they will, and they can also tell you if it is not possible.

Quick story, once we were in Puerto Rico, we got off the ship, and either we were not able to get on the tour we wanted or we vasillated too long and decided to do so after we got off the ship. Anyway, we wanted to go to the rainforest. The ship's itinerary was to take a bus load to a tower which was high in the forest and simply observe. We inquired from a cabbie the cost of a round trip fare and he gave his price. We requested if remain close, or at least return to pick us up at a desired time. He was very agreeable, which caused us to reconsider if in fact we were going to get picked up and have already paid, so we agreed to pay half now and the balance upon pickup.
He took us to the rainforest, we took a hikingpath which he informed us about, we found a beautiful lagoon with waterfalls, saw alot of nature and finally met him at the designated pickup spot.
When we questioned him why the ship's tour didn't include this, he simply laughed and stated that the ships are cautious about liability so they take the safest route. He was independant so he could take us where we wanted and he assumed zero liability.
Moral of the story: we paid the same amount as the ships tour/excursion, enjoyed it alot more, and we were shutout by the ship.
So although I can't guarantee anything, I hope this message helps a little. We have been on several caribbean cruises and all have been great, even when we didn't get the tours we wanted.
Have a great trip.
Old March 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Marnie

The last I checked, Carnival does not have an option on their website to book excursions. If you try calling 1-800-Carnival, you may be able to book over the phone. If it's shortly before the cruise, they may not be taking any more reservations over the phone, you'd have to wait until you're on the ship.

Eddie's right, it seems like most excursions can be done safely on your own for less money and more options. Keep searching for information about your specific excursion on the message boards.

Here's 2 more sites I've found message boards on

This link has lots of cruise information, you can read the reviews and see if anyone's mentioned the excursion. Also on the left hand side of this page is a link to the message board which has search capabilities

http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/

Here's another site with similar information

http://www.cruisecritic.com/
Old April 4th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Admiral

With Carnival...you can't book till on ship.