Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Cruisin' For A Brewsin'

Default SAN JUAN - Bioluminescence Tour?

Has anybody been on this tour? It sounds absolutely awesome: kayaking through the water at night with the water glowing all around you with microscopic sea life. Is it as cool as it sounds? How come no one brings up this tour when they complain about San Juan being a boring port?
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
cmitch9999

Default Re: SAN JUAN - Bioluminescence Tour?

We had 6 of our group go on this tour last November. They enjoyed it alot but it was a long bus ride, a bit scary kayaking in the dark,,part of the group did not keep up well and it was difficult to navigate in the mangroves. The bioluminescence did not 'glow' on it's own, you had to stir the water with the paddle etc. to make it visible. They were glad they had the experience, but I don't know if they would ever do it again. The tour was supposed to be back in San Juan at 11:30 PM and they didn't arrive back til almost 1:30AM when the ship sailed!! It was a bit late for our children 11 and 13 on the trip, we had chosen the later excursion to insure darkness which is what they needed most to see the bioluminescence. 2 people per kayak, make sure they can paddle well together.
Chris Mitchell
Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
Cruisin' For A Brewsin'

Default Re: SAN JUAN - Bioluminescence Tour?

Thanks CMitch999! Does the water glow brightly? Would it be ruined if the moon was shining?
Old May 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: SAN JUAN - Bioluminescence Tour?

We were in Puerto Rico on the Victory in October...we we're there at nite.We took a tour along the old Fort (awewsome) and then shopped,,before going to the Flaminco show....it was great!!! The city reminded me of Europe and old mexico.The other ports were better...St thomas etc..but to see the culture and know the history of Puerto Rico made me appreciate it more.Happy sailing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 4th, 2002, 09:21 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: SAN JUAN - Bioluminescence Tour?

I read this question & though I have never done the tour myself (hope to someday!), my husbands boss did. They said they had to be careful NOT to book on a full moon because they were warned it isn't good then.