Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Mike Sullivan

Default Cozumel - Excursions

We will be in Cozumel on 06/05/02. We have 2 children 9ages 9 & 6) and we were thinking of touring the Ruins. Any advice? Book through Princess or not? I see where one of the tours is $89 adult and $72 per child. I believe that is too expensive.

I also read a small bit about the town of Chankanaab where one can swin with dolphins.

Other things to do?

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Cozumel - Excursions

Hi Mike,
Haven't done the ruins, just doesn't interest me and I hear its very hot there, plus it takes the whole day. Have heard great things about swimming with the dolphins, here is the link, so check it out:

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Mike Sullivan

Default Re: Re: Cozumel - Excursions

This is the e-mail I just received from Dolphin Discovery:

"Because of our contract with Princess Cruises, we are unable to make advance
reservations for any of their passengers. You can make these reservations
directly through Princess. If you have any problems with making your
reservations, you may contact Bonnie Dugan at 954-525-8520. Thank you for
writing and I hope you have a wonderful time with the dolphins. "

I had asked if I could make a reservation indenpendly. DD charges $65adult and $60child. Princess charges $99 adult and $92 child. Now we will be unable to go! I bet the Princess tour does a bit more but they have now priced us out!

THANKS PRINCESS !!!

I wonder if I can just make a reservation as if I had flown to the island?
Old May 31st, 2002, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Hi Mike. Unless you are talking about touring the ruins on the Mainland, I would skip'em. The San Gervasio ruins on Coz are not worth the time IMO, and I believe I am not in the minority in that opinion.

Chankanaab is actually the name of a National Park . There is a botanical garden and and archaeological area there also. There's a restaurant, lockers and showers. There is a man made beach area which is very nice with shade and chairs, but NO beach type access to the water. You entered the water from stairs to a depth of 4 feet or so...best I can remember. But your children may be comfortable snorkeling there.

The dolphin encounter is located adjacent to Chankanaab Park. Don't know anything about that except that people do seem to enjoy it. I have mixed feelings about the animals being contained like that, but it does give people an up close personal experience. Don't see why you just couldn't call back, and make a reservation, and leave out the Princess cruise passenger information.

I always enjoying renting a car/jeep and driving around the island. Stopping at scenic spots and "tbeaching" my way back.
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Tonya

I took the Tulum tour with Carnival in January 2001. I was very disappointed. The ruins were beautiful, but we only got to spend 45 minutes there. Definitly not enough time. The tender ride to Playa Del Carmen took 45 minutes, then the bus ride took 2 hours, during we stopped for 30 minutes at a very expensive rest stop. So, after traveling for 3 hours and 15 minutes we finally arrive and walk about 3/4 mile to the ruins (there was a shuttle, but our guide told us if we waited on the shuttle, we would only have about 20 minutes in the ruins. We had about 30 minutes to explore, then we were loaded back on to the bus for a 45 minute ride to Xchalha (sp) pronounced Shell-ha. We had 45 minutes there, which was not even enough time to change and get into the water. Then got back on the bus for another hour, then another hour on the tender back to Cozumel in rough seas. Tulum and Shell-ha were both beautiful and interesting, but I would have liked to spend 4 or 5 hours at each, not 45 minutes. I complained to the purser and we received a refund for half of our excursion price.
Old June 26th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cozumel - Excursions

Hi..
Just wanted to give you something else to think about. When we are in port we will be taking the ferry to PLaya del Carmen from there will hop in a taxi and go to Xcaret. This is the most awesome place to play for the entire day. Beautiful beaches, lagoons with tubes and caves, underwater river that you can float down, swimming with dolphins (extra ofcourse), examples of ruins, wildlife, showers, lockers, restaurants.. I cant wait to take my kids there in August. It truly is such a unique marine park.

Paula

P.S Ive been to Tulum and it was hot and miserable and takes allllllll day in a horrid bus.