Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Catherine Walker

Default Barbados Shore Excursions

I am a genealogy nut and have two sets of Ancesors who migrated from England to Barbados in the late 1600s. I want to visit the cemetery across the street from St. John's church. There are three shore excursions that stop at St. John's church

One goes to Gun Hill Tunnel Station, St. John's church and ends at Sunbury plantation.

One begins traveling thorugh Holetown, Speightstown, Farly Hill National Park, Bathsheba, stops at St. John's Church, passes Lion on Gun Hill and ends at Francia's plantation house.

Another one starts from the harbor, travels Spring Garden Hwy through Holetownm goes to Cherry Tree HIll, Bathsheba, stops at St. John's church and ends at Heritage Park.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which excursion we should take?

Thanks Catherine
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Frank M

Default Re: Barbados Shore Excursions

Catherine,

If you take a tour, I doubt if you will have time to search through the cemetary for your ancestors grave sites during the short tour stop. If finding your ancestors graves is that important then I would hire a taxi for the day at the cruise dock and go to the cemetary and other sites on your own schedule. It may cost you more, but then again, maybe not, since you can negotiate a price up front with the taxi driver and spend what time you want at all the sites you plan on visiting.

There are a load of taxi's just begging for your business. If you plan on doing your own tour, research the prices. I usually rate a tour by it's cost through the cruise line. In the Caribbean that averages about $10/hour per person for the duration ot the excursion. For exanple: a 4 hour tour will cost about $40 per person (this includes admission charges). You can use this as a guide. If you have sufficient time before the cruise then locate a map of Barbados then start planning the point of interest for your taxi ride. You can even schedule a stop at the beach for some sun. Ask for a box lunch on the ship to take along or just eat at a place recommended by your taxi driver.

Most tours in my estimation are too short to be really enjoyed. Hiring a taxi is looking to me to be the best choice. By hiring your own private taxi you can see the sights you want and avoid the ones you don't. Read up on the sights in travel books, on the web or whatever and decide for yourself.

I suggest a visit to Harrison's cave to add to your tour. You will be driven through the cave on electric golfcart like trams and stop at various beautifully lit rock and mineral formations. Cave Shepard is a good department store downtown for imported English goods if you are a shopper. Also downtown is the "Best of Barbados" store for good quality souveniors.

Be sure to take some tacing paper along to make rubbings of your ancestors grave stones and also a camera for pictures. Get a photo of the church also. Good luck in your adventure.

Frank M
Old July 12th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Glenna

Default Re: Barbados Shore Excursions

I have vacationed in Barbados, but it has been a few years; so I don't remember all those places. However, I do recommend one of the tours that would include Bathsheba, as the coast on that side of the island is quite spectacular. I don't recall what Heritage Park is.