Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default snorkle how to

Greetings,
I was hoping to enjoy some of the fabulous water opportunities I hope to have. I would like to snorkle. Would some of you experts share with me how I won't look like chum in the water? I bought a mask (need Rx), fins and snorkle so I know these fit, what next?

I have read about feeding the fish. Is this a good idea? What do you feed them? Do they bite?
Thanks,

Kim
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: snorkle how to

Kim,
You are off to a good start, snorkeling is pretty simple, once you get the hang of the way to breath when in the water. You may also want to rent a vest, sure helps me and less to worry about if I should get tired and I'm too far out. You can bring along some bread or crackers, the fish love that. Depending on where you are snorkeling, they may even feed the fish when you are there, thats something to see, tons of fish.

What ports are you cruising to?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: snorkle how to

Thanks Donna, this helps.

We will be cruising on the Carnival Conquest with stops in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I really want to do Stingray City if nothing else.

I am a big girl. Do they have queen sized vests? Where would I rent one? I was thinking of bringing a cheepy little floatation raft or something. That would probably look like training wheels in the water huh?

Kim
Old July 14th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: snorkle how to

Hi Kim,
I'm sure they will have vests that fit, they are adjustable and come in lots of sizes, so I wouldn't worry about finding one that will work for you. I find by having one, I don't have to worry if I'm really "out there" and get tired. You can also adjust how much you want it inflated, so you can use as much as needed.

I bet you will really love this new Carnival ship, enjoy and take lots of pics!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: snorkle how to

Donna I had told another cruisemate that I have only sailed with very small, old ships in the past and that this was going to be like seeing my first Super Walmart all over again. I am really looking forward to the ship experience.

Thanks for the vest advise. Will the ship have them for rent or will I find them with the excursions?

I do not sail until Dec but I am so hyped even now. These boards have been wonderful. I have learned so much.

Kim
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: snorkle how to

Hey Kim,
This cruise will be like no other, you will find out soon enough, just hope the time does past quickly. As for the vest, its possible you can rent them onboard, but if you are going to do any snorkeling excursions, they will have them there, in fact most require that you do use them. You may want to ask once onboard and see if they do rent them, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 16th, 2002, 03:12 PM
MikeInPgh

Default Re: snorkle how to

Glad you got your own equipment, some of the rental stuff is pretty beat. As for a vest, most places have them big enough to fit even Ted Kennedy (which is like XXXXXL).

How to snorkel, that is a tough one, best advice is if you are not a good swimmer, stay shallow enough to stand. Remember the snorkel tube is only about 6 inches out of the water so don't try to look too far behind you or you will get a mouthful of salt water.

Take it easy and just float along, only ise your arms and fins to change directions. The less splashing you do, the longer the fish will stick around.

From what I understand Stingray City is only chest high so most people stand and duck under when they want to see something.

As for feeding the fish, I do it all the time snorkeling and diving. They like the little pellets you can buy at a scuba shop, but they also like cheerios and bannas. Don't try and have them eat out of your hand, let the food float around you. If you try o hold onto it, they might nip your fingers (not painful, just a little scary the first time it happens. Most fish you will see do not have teeth that can hurt you. a word of advice... minimal jewelry, no necklaces or dnagling or shiney earrings (they look like bait to some fish).

Just relax and have fun.
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: snorkle how to

Mike, thanks so much. I was wondering how to use the fins. I bought all of this gear for my last cruise and we didn't disembark at the place I wanted to snorkle because of the weather. I have been staring at this equipment for a year or so wondering what I have got myself into. It sounds like once I get used to the mouth breathing and relax I will be okay. I really appreciate the practical tips. I will see about the pellets and thanks for letting me know those fishies will nip.