Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2002, 05:14 PM
Jennie

Default What time are excursions?

What time do the excursions usually start? I am going on the Imagination and we dock in Grand Cayman at 7:30 AM and in Ochos Rios at 8 AM. On Grand Cayman we were thinking of splitting up and some people were thinking about doing two excursions... Do they start early, like around 8 or do they usually start more normal hours? Also, are they offered at more than one time? And if you do more than one, how do you get between the two locations? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What time are excursions?

Hi Jennie,
Just remember that you tender in Grand Cayman, so the time you actually get off the ship depends on when the tenders start going. The first groups on the tenders are the ones that do have cruiseline excursions first thing. So, just allow time to get to shore, and yes most usually have then a few times a day depending on how long they are, also allow time to get back to the tender.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Jennie

Default Re: Re: What time are excursions?

Are the tenders a pain? Because I would like to do a little bit of shopping then bring the bags back to the ship before hitting the beach... Is there shopping and beaches right near where the ship docks in Grand Cayman?
Old August 1st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What time are excursions?

Tenders usually run back and forth all day (perhaps every 10 or 15 minutes). Many excursions go fairly early in the morning. The ship will usually "muster" excursion goers in a lounge area and move them ashore in groups ,perhaps at 830 am. There is often a second waive of 1/2 day excursions in the afternoon. The tour operators are generally going to start and end within a short walk from the tender.
Shopping is within a block in each direction of the pier.
7 mile beach begins just beyond the end of town. Best bet is to take a cab and ask to be dropped at a public beach access.
There is actually good snorkeling (although not really a beach) a block or so to the right of the pier when you get off the tender, in front of the dive center. You walk down some rocks for access to the water. The dive center has lockers, showers and food facilities available I believe.
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:37 PM
Jennie

Default Re: Re: What time are excursions?

Thanks... so we can walk to shop but not really to the beach... how much is a cab ride? Do you think we went shopping first we'd hav time to drop bags off on the boat and then go back to the beach? Thanks for your help.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: What time are excursions?

Hi Jennie,
I would say you would not have time to go back to the ship to drop things off, too much time envolved with the tendering back to the ship and then back out again, depending on how long you are in GC. I'd possibly plan going to the beach and then for the last stop, do some shopping before heading back to the ship, that way you don't lug all your purchases around, but keep in mind Grand Cayman is not known for any really good shopping, unless you want to pick up a "to die" for Rum cake :-)

Any plans to snorkel with the sting rays? Enjoy Grand Cayman!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
Jennie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What time are excursions?

A few of my friends are talking about snorkeling with the sting rays-- not me! I dont like swimming with the fish I want to go on the glass bottom boat and then try some of the water sports on the beach... Just looking for some small soulvineers (sp?) during shopping... Just didn't want to go wet and i dont want to bring bags to the beach... gotta figure out the best order. We are in there from 7:30 am - 4 pm.

Do you know in Ochos Rios if there are any tours that go to the falls as well as shopping?

Thanks for all youe help