Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Beginner

Default Buck Island or Trunk Bay in St. Thomas

Hi, Were sailing on RC's Explorer August 10th. St. Thomas will be one of our stops...Only their for 10 hours. Which place would be best for snorkeling...Buck Island or Trunk Bay...or any other good spots? My kids aged 8 + 9 have never been snorkeling before. We also want to go on the Atlantis submarine (2 hrs.) and take in some shopping. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Buck Island or Trunk Bay in St. Thomas

Hi Kim,
Have been to Trunk bay quite a few times and I would highly recommend TB over Buck Island, beautiful beach, good snorkeling and if given the choice I would definitely do St. John/Trunk Bay. Haven't been to Buck Island, but on our last trip to TB, the staff running the excursion said they sometimes have to go to Buck Island and that we were in for a treat being able to go to TB, so they would know.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 5th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Buck Island or Trunk Bay in St. Thomas

I've been to both and would recommend Trunk Bay. You'll get a fun ferry ride over to St. John, a beautiful cab ride to Trunk Bay (sit on left side of cab to see blue water and beaches). Trunk Bay is the beach you see in all the VI tourist photos. There is nice "walk-in" snorkelling and full beach facilities.There is a marked underwater snorkel trail.
The Buck island that the tours go to is not the" Famous" Buck Island that is actually off St Croix. This one is an island about 2 or 3 miles outside the harbor. It is a very popular snorkel spot . There is not a lot of coral color , some nice fish, an occaisonal sea turtle. One of the two bays they might stop in has the wreck of an old ferry . Snorkeling is off the boat and can be a little more difficult for a beginner as the island is a protected preserve and you cannot go on shore. Transport to Buck Island is usually on a medium sized sailboat and they often use sail and motor power to get you there. You will enjoy either one, but given what you describe ,I would choose Trunk Bay.
Enjoy
Old August 5th, 2002, 06:02 PM
J. H.

Default Re: Re: Buck Island or Trunk Bay in St. Thomas

Defintely go TRUNK BAY. We went in April and it was fantastic. Every vista on ST. John's looks like a picture post card. Haven't been to Buck Island, but I would not hesitate to recommend Trunk Bay. I hope we can return there some day. It is absoutely georgeous!
Old August 7th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Buck Island or Trunk Bay in St. Thomas

Thank you everyone for your replies. We appreciate your help. Best regards, Kim