Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Car/Van Rental in Progresso

I will be in Progresso in early November with with my wife and two other couples. We will be in port for about 11 hours, and want to go see the Mayan ruins (either at Chitzen Itza or Uxmal). Rather than spend the money on the cruise organized shore excusion, I am exploring renting a van, and driving on our own. That way, we could get time at the ruins and probably some time in Merida for a fraction of the cost. I speak pretty fluent Spanish, and would like to make the car rental arrangements before we go. However, I have been unable to find any information about car rental agencies either at the port in Progresso or in Progresso itself. Any information on this would be much appreciated. Also, if going on our own, what is the admission cost to Chitzen Itza or Uxmal, and are there English speaking tours available (no one else in our group speaks Spanish) at the sites and at what cost?
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:27 PM
clay b

Default Re: Car/Van Rental in Progresso

We're booked on the Grandeur on Oct. 26. They cancelled the stop in Progresso(storm damage) and we're going to Costa Maya.... Depending on when you're going, they may not stop at Progresso. I suggest that you check with your travel agent.

Happy cruising...
clay b
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Car/Van Rental in Progresso

I have been to both Uxmal once and Chichen Itza twice. there were always engish speaking tour guides standing out front waiting. all were licsenced by the Mexican tourist council and very good. I think two of us paid a guy at Chichen Itza $20 and was well worth it. I had been there before with a large group, and having a small group is much better. Ended up being cheaper too.

Can't answer your question about car rentals. I was in Progresso 12 years ago. Pretty much nothing there.
I've always found busses to be extremely reasonable, comfortable and quick. Also lots of departure times. here's a link for bus travel:
http://www.magic-bus.com/