Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:39 PM
MR DOOWOP

Default MANATEE WATCH & COMMUNITY BABOON SANCTUARY IN BELIZE ?

MY WIFE & I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE MANATEE WATCH & COMMUNITY BABOON SANCTUARY IN BELIZE & WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE TAKEN THESE SHORE EXCURSIONS ? DID YOU ENJOY THE EXCURSIONS ? WHAT DID THE EXCURSIONS CONSIST OF ? WITH WHOM DID YOU BOOK THE EXCURSIONS ? HOW LONG WAS EACH EXCURSION ? COULD YOU DO BOTH EXCURSIONS IN THE 1 DAY IN PORT ? THANK yOU
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod
Default Re: MANATEE WATCH & COMMUNITY BABOON SANCTUARY IN BELIZE ?

I know nothing about the excursion you are asking about, however, I feel compelled to share this little tidbit. I went to an elaborate Manatee exhibit at Sea World (I believe) in Florida a few years back, which was highly publicized at the time as the "must see" venue on the property. While on line to see the actual animals, we were treated to displays, videos and other info on the soon to be extinct manatees. Once we got to the actual exhibit area, which was mostly underwater in an aquarium type setting, it became obvious to me why these poor, dumb animals were approaching extinction. Almost every one of the manatees on display were immersed in the act of eating their own freshly ejected feces. Needless to say, everyone was totally grossed out by the experience, and to this day, I relive that moment whenever I see or hear the word manatee. I don't know whether to feel sorry for the species or root for its ultimate demise for its own sake. Just kidding, for all of you preservationists out there.

I just thought someone might enjoy my little story.

P.S. Maybe the baboons will be more interesting?

Post Edited (10-24-02 12:51)

Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer
Old November 12th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: MANATEE WATCH & COMMUNITY BABOON SANCTUARY IN BE

I live in Florida and encounter Manatee in the wild just about any time I want to go looking for them. They are endangered but their numbers in Florida have been growing. Boats are the single most cause of deaths. I have seen them several times in captivity at the Florida State Fair and the Mote Aquarium in Sarasota and have never seen anything like discribed. By the way there is a place in Florida were you can swim with the Manatee. I have had friends who have done that and never saw anything like that. If you really want a shock, see a skeleton of a Manatee. Inside each of their front two flippers is the bone structure of a full 5 fingered hand. Inside their back flipper is the bone structure of two stunted legs and two five toed feet. Monkeys and apes only have 4 toes and fingers. Manatee are clearly somewhere in humans' evolutionary chain.