Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default Shore Excursions?

1st time cruiser...I've heard that the excursions get taken fast...what if I don't want to do an excursion, what else is there to do, also what are the prices of these excursions? (Cozumel)
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shore Excursions?

Hi Sherry,
Its always a good idea to know what excursions you do want to do, so you can sign up for them once onboard the ship. Some cruiselines have a feature on their web-sites where you can pre-book these, so far Carnival doesn't yet. You should be sent a list of all the excursions with your docs. There will be quite a few for Cozumel to choose from. Any ideas as to what you want to do?? There is a nice park, Chankanaab, where you can snorkel, they also have the swim with the dolphins. You can get a cab at the pier and get there, here is a link to their web-site:

http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html

If you want to also check out the dolphin swim, here is a link to that too:

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/

If you haven't already looked throught the section here for first time cruisers, lots of good tips and info:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
MEMC

Default Re: Shore Excursions?

Just anote to say that we are planning our excursions for Dec.22 cruise on Victory. Our son has decided not to do the Stingrays with us in Grand Cayman and asked me what could he do. I told him that there are people who like the ship best when everyone's ashore because it is almost deserted. It's like having the ship to yourself. So he is going to stay on board for the morning and chill. Of course, you can always go SHOPPING! My personal favorite of all time. That's what we will do in the afternoon and take him along. By the way, he is 24. For Cozumel, we are not taking a tour. We are taking a taxi to Chankanaab Park (about $10 for four one way) where you can lay on the beach, walk around the botanical gardens, watch people swim with the dolphins, watch a sealion show, make friends with the wild golden iguanas, snorkel (equipment rental is $5.00), dive (3 or 4 dive shops on beach), Snuba ( something between diving and snorkeling), mini-golf, eat, drink and be merry all for an entrance fee of $10. You can also swim with the dolphins but book early and it costs $119. Then back to the ship for lunch and a shower. Next a trip into town for SHOPPING. Then a horse-drawn carriage ride back to the ship (about $20) for Christmas eve dinner. We will see if town will have any fireworks or posada that night in town. Otherwise, there is a great mini-golf spot downtown open til 11PM. Sail at midnite while we are at midnite mass. The perfect day! By the way, the taxi to downtown is about $5 for 1-4 people one way. We did take the Mermaid ship last time and it was in the $30's. Stingray city is in the upper $30's in Grand Cayman. I think this is a pretty average price but you can of course go much higher such as for the submarine. If you want to book, just do it as soon as you board and you won't have to worry about getting what you want. The longer you wait, watch out. Things like the dolphins take such few people that it sells out fast. Hope this helped. Stay happy and healthy. Marianne