Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

Hello!
My husband and I will be going to the western caribbean on 12/15/02 (this sunday!), but we really can't afford those expensive shore excursions. We'll be going to cozumel, grand cayman, costa maya, and key west. Does anybody know of any independent excursion sites? Thanks.
Liz
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

Hi Liz,
Yes, there are quite a few. A nice place to go to in cozumel is Chankanaab Park:
http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html
You can just get a cab at the pier and head on over there, good snorkeling, beach, etc.

For Grand Cayman, definitely snorkeling with the Sting Rays. You can pre-book it with Capt. Marvin, but not sure if you can at this short notice, but give it a try if you think this is something you want to do:
http://www.captainmarvins.com/

There may be more at this site and you usually save some money, hope you find some nice and interesting things to do, enjoy:

http://www.shoreexcursions.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Lene

Default Re: Re: CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

Has anyone taken cheaper shore excursions in Puntarenas?
Old December 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Key West: Check around on the web a bit, and just do whatever interests you on your own. Good maritime museum, shopping, pub crawl, Hemingway House, etc.

Grand Cayman: Stingray City is a "Don't Miss". Try Captain Marvin's excursion.

Cozumel: No need for an organized tour. Rent a jeep and go around the island yourself, snorkeling and beaching it back to the ship. Finish up with a little shopping and a Corona at Carlos and Charlies. OR DIVE, if you're certified.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Admiral

most excursions are cheaper if you do them on your own, one of your best bets is to hire a driver for the day, make sure your driver speaks English not just a few words. You might me hard pressed to get a Capt. Marvin's tour this close to departure, the cruise lines buy up most of them, going on a ships excursion might be the only way you would get to Sting Ray City. If you want an amazing snorkel adventure look into renting on a dive boat that snorkels the Palencaar Reef - with certified dive masters - this is really easy snorkeling and the marine life is just awesome.
Old December 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Danny

Tammy and I are also going to the Western Carib this Sunday the 15th. We have booked a trip with Eagle Ray Divers. It's a 3 reef dive with lunch. A great deal I think.
Old December 12th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

Hi! Sorry to bother you. Do you know how far away this park is from the pier and about how much it would cost for 2 people to take a cab there one way? Thanks a lot!
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Bubblez

Default Re: Re: Re: CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

Check out http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com for cheaper shore excursions
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:40 AM
killian

i will be crusing w/ you too!
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:00 PM
Jerilyn

Default Re: Re: Re: CHEAPER EXCURSION ALTERNATIVES?

The park is a very short drive by taxi (not walkable) about 10 min. And they usually charge $10.00. Entrance to the park is $10.00 per person, possible $8.00. But I think is was $10 in Oct. The park is well mantained, you can rent snorkel equipment if you don't have your own. Life perservers are $5.00 rental, not sure about the other stuff. There are beautiful gardens there and other things to see. We never miss going there, it is always a great day. There are things to sit on and shade if you want it . Rest rooms and food. They bring the drinks in a pineapple on the beach. Don't miss the park, is my recomendation!
Old January 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am taking that same cruise (Tampa rt: Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman) How did you like Costa Maya? What did you do? We are booked on Capt Marvin's Snorkel Trip in GC