Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Default Difficulty of excursions

I am trying to find a shore excursion and I have one fairly limitting factor. I have a bad knee that limits the amount of strain i can endure. I want to so some of the tours of the Ruins in belize or cozumel and/or tubing. My question is, how strenuous is the hiking involved in some of the tours? In some cases I would have to go slow and I wouldn't want to hold up the group. Has anyone been on any of these (or similar ) tours and could give me an idea of what to expect. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2002, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Difficulty of excursions

Most cruise lines will rate their exurisons based on activity levels. I know that the ruins at Tulum (Cozumel) have a lot of stairs if you want to get to the top, but you can wander around the base of the ruins if you can't climb the stairs.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Difficulty of excursions

The ruins at Tulum are pretty easy and a low level of activity as you are not allowed to really climb on the ruins there. There is a half-mile walk from the entrance of the park to the entrance of the ruins but there is also a open-air shuttle you can take. The Cave tubing in Belize states there is a mile walk and I guess it is but the walk itself isn't all that hard, (heck, I managed), but it is fairly rapid pace and it can only go at the rate of the slowest person so you may rethink that one. The ruins in Belize I don't know about but some that have done it did have mobility difficulties and seemed to manage. Like Lisa says, there is usually a guide listed about the level of strenous activity so you can judge by that and I would also ask the tour people themselves as they always have the latest data.
Jim