Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Randy C

Default Belize Excursion from Cruise

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids - ages 12 and 9) taking a cruise and docking in Belize. We want to go snorkeling, but don't feel like wasting so much time on a boat ride (like to Hol Chan Marine Reserve). Is there a closer Caye we can go to? Since my kids, especially my youngest, aren't the greatest swimmers, we were looking for a Caye that is very shallow, almost to the point they could stand and when they are done, just hang out on the each.

Any suggestions?!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Jacquelyn

Default Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

We returned 7/05/2002 from the Norwegian Sun. If he is not a good swimmer do not go on the Shark Ray Alley excursion. It is an hour boat ride. It is worth every penny to swim with Sand Sharks and Rays. The water is probably 20-30' deep.
Old February 10th, 2003, 03:15 PM
KJ

Default Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

Caye Caulker is where you want to go. Get off the ship as early as possible, you will arrive in Belize City at the Cruise Ship Tender Area. Walk to Town (Belize has a different time zone than your ship) pick up some Belizian Dollars and then walk to the Water Taxi Area, buy your return tickets early. Hop on a Water Taxi very in expensive and go to Caye Caulker and find Carlos Dive Shop. He can rent gear. My boys at the time 6 and 8 were swimming with Cigar Fish, Picking Live Conch, Huge Star Fish and its safe small and heaven on earth. You will think the Taxi Boat ride is a bit long but once you are on the taxi and going through the smaller Caye's it is beautiful. You will not want to leave. The restaurants are great (One where the restaurant is under a deck off someone's house) Wow, and her menu was extensive but not alot for the kids, she came out and let the boys know she was making them Fettuccini with Butter and Parmesan.
Head to the Split to the Lazy Lizard and enjoy your day.
I am jealous, Heaven on Earth. I think we will be going for two weeks next year.
Old February 17th, 2003, 10:09 PM
TexasAnn

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

Wow KJ... you seem to have it down.
I hear so little about excursions in Belize.
I was thinking about going to Caulker Caye and I think you sealed it for us.

Is it better to do the whole Belizean dollars thing and do it on your own rather than book a ship excursion? How often do the water taxis run? My biggest fear is missing the ship because we're late getting back!

Ann
Old February 18th, 2003, 03:42 PM
KJ

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

We were actually hoping to miss the ship, haha.
We did it on our own. The taxi's will tell you which one you have to take in order to be back to the cruise ship dock on time. They were very good with us.
We had time for a Rum Punch at the dock before we wandered to the last launch.
The most important point is to get off the ship and onto a launch as early as possible, bribe, sneak what ever it takes.
The most fun is making your own excursions, at least it is for us. Our children were diving for conch, and fishing for Mangrove Snapper with the locals, they wondered what the burnt grass smell was, since there was no grass. haha. We had no problems with people approaching us here to purchase illegals and when others saw us coming with kids in tow they would hide there stuff very respectfully if they were partaking at the time. We didn't see alot of this, but for us the small amount we did notice it was alot of us.
Have fun, I'm soooooo jealous at this moment.
If you find the Restaurant under the deck with amazing Conch Burgers and a Curry to die for say hi from Kim and Steve from BC Canada

Belizian Dollars are a must as its a British Colony, they liked our Canadian Dollars better than the US Dollars. I think with us British Colony Types its a Control Thing, haha.
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Barbara Angelino

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

Hi - was hoping to get more info on scuba diving in Belize - you can scuba dive at Caye Caulker, right?

What a great source of information the message board is.

Thanks - Barbara
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

I've been in contact w/ seasports belize. They seem to have good rates and will bring you back to the ship when you are finished.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Melissa28

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize Excursion from Cruise

Do they have a web site or a phone number you can share? We are going at the end of the month!