Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruising Western Caribbean 9-15-03 -Key West, Belize and Coz

Anyone have any suggestions of excursions to do if we can't find good deals on diving? The excursions offered by Royal Caribbean are very expensive for some spots.

I don't know that we have enough time to dive in Key West, so.... any suggestions of things to do there?

Can one do the "Blue Hole" in Belize on an excursion (meaning.. is there enough time to make it there, dive and get back to the ship)?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2003, 09:15 PM
StaceyLee

Default Re: Cruising Western Caribbean 9-15-03 -Key West, Belize and

I think the Blue hole is a difficult one when you are on a cruise ship. You have to tender in quite a ways.

Have you looked into Cayman? We've used Cayman Islands Discounts, Diving & Snorkeling Trips .

We found it to be a good operation. We dove stingray city and had a few snorkelers with us. They do wall dives too but couldn't fit it in to our schedule.
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cruising Western Caribbean 9-15-03 -Key West, Belize

I would love to do Grand Cayman, but it is not one of our stops on this trip. Belize seems to be a new stop for all cruise lines and so not a lot of things are set up yet. I have a TA checking on some things for me, but I am not sure what I will end up doing. I really hate to pay the cruiselines $132.00 pp fee to do diving in Belize. That is double the rate everywhere else for all the other stops.
Old February 7th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising Western Caribbean 9-15-03 -Key West, Belize and

in Cozumel, look into a dive tour of the Palencaar Reef - amazing! other options in Cozumel - touring th ruins as Tulum, spending the day at Chanuunkaub National Park, sun, swim, snorkel, dolphin swim. of course a day in Cozumel isn't complete without a visit to Carlos-N-Charlies!
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cruising Western Caribbean 9-15-03 -Key West, Belize

I have heard a lot mentioned about this Chanuukaub Park and people said you could dive there.. how/where do you go to do this? The dolphin swim... where do you go to do this? Do we get off the ship and go to the Park directly and can then do all those things there?

Who/what is Carlos-n-Charlies?
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Some links to help answer your diving questions

I have heard that the blue hole is way over rated as a dive and it way far from the port
I'd bet you have time for a dive in Key west if you can hookup with a small local operator and make your own custom plans.

For a more informed answer, you can ask your questions here:

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/list.php?f=1&collapse=0
it is a scuba diving message board, so there will be fellow divers to answer, not mainly non-divers from the cruise message board.

But better yet, use the search function first, the regulars appreciate it.

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/search.php?f=1
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Some links to help answer your diving questions

Hi, Tracy. Something to consider in Coz--there are at least two submarine tours. One is only semi-submersible, meaning that the boat does not actually submerge, but has viewing windows below the waterline. The other one is a true touring sub that goes down about 100 feet. If you're going on Enchantment, my wife and I will be on the same cruise.

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)