Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Passenger

Default Key West Excursions

We're sailing RCI Enchantment in March. I've booked a couple of shore excursions for the other ports but am at a loss as to what to do in Key West. We're travelling with 10 and 11 year-old children. Any suggestions from past experiences? Also, can you recommend something that we could sign up for at the dock and avoid paying RCI's higher rate??
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Dorothy Fritz

Default Re: Key West Excursions

We sailed the Enchantment last August and stopped at Key West. We have a 13 yr old girl. After reading everything about Key West we decided to do a walk about on our own. The trolley tours and conch train can be booked at Key West without going through RCI. There is also an Aquarium and Shipwreck Museum you might want to try. We had more fun just walking around and counting roosters. We felt it was a party persons town and we were glad that we went early in the day and then went back to the ship in the afternoon. Try contacting the Key West travel and tourism or Chamber of Commerce.
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to be there in Oct. w/ 3 kids (3,4, and 7) and will be booking a private charter for only $375. We can snorkle w/ dolphins, be taken to a reef to snorkle, and/or go to some sandbars where the water is shallow and the kids can play. They also provide lunch for us, I thought it sounded like a good deal. Here's the site http://keywestdiscounts.com/html/dolphin_swimming.html
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Wendy L

Default Re: Re: Key West Excursions

Once you're "downtown" it is VERY easy, inexpensive and safe to book on your own -- our kids have liked the conch train (the one you can get on and off), Hemingway's house, the local museum (our younger son is a history buff and loved the USS Maine exhibit), renting bikes and riding around town, and of course lunch at Sloppy Joes.
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM
KimT

Default Re: Re: Key West Excursions

I was in Key West again in September 2002, my sister moved there. My mother, sister and niece went out on a boat to snorkel. My young niece who was 10 at the time and had never snorkeled. We went out far in two locations. I found the water to be extremely rough and my niece was very frightened. I have snorkeled in Jamaica, Mexico, Grand Caymens, the Dominican Republic and now Key West. I found this to be my second least favorite with the Dominican being my least favorite. The waters were just too rough for a novice to enjoy comfortably. I loved the Conch train! I would definately recommend eating at Mangi Mangi!! It was the BEST food I have eaten in any part of my travels!! It is a small Italian restaurant in Old Town. I am not always a big fan of Italian food because it gives me heart burn, but this place is the best! Thy make fresh pastas daily, have the most wonderful appetizers ever!! Be sure to check out the Key West deer, they are mini deer, very cute. Check out the sun sets at Mallory Square!! I love Key West!!!!
Old April 19th, 2003, 04:44 AM
tori vitori

My husband and I along with several family that went we rented electric cars. I had found and gotten general prices from internet. It was a 4 seater electric car and the back seat was raised like stadium seats. We rented car for 4 hours and i think it was $90. We walked down main street in key west and asked at first place we saw. Also you just leave car where ever and they come get it. We were in key west for 8 hrs, rented car first 4 then parked far end of duval st and walked back to boat for last 4 hrs. Like i said they came and got the cars from far end of duval st. It was great where you could easily follow behind tour tolleys and hear tour info or you could go sight seeing on your own to the regular pic places ( like most southerpoint of US on other side of island). So far key west was one of our favorite ports. Have fun sailing.
Tori